1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lincoln's Inn Chapel

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Pauline, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Does anyone have any thoughts, please, on why someone might choose to marry in Lincoln's Inn Chapel in 1736?

On the Lincoln's Inn website, the chapel is referred to as a venue for clandestine marriages until 1753. While I am aware of the reasons why people might opt for a clandestine marriage, the couple I am looking at married by licence, issued by the Bishop of London, and a marriage by licence can't really be considered clandestine.

The couple were both given as being from Wandsworth at the time of the marriage, and the groom is given on the bond as a "Gardiner".