1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Les Filles du Roi

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

2013 marks the 350th anniversary of the start of the arrival in Canada of the Les Filles du Roi. This is the group of about 800 single young French women who were assisted in their emigration to New France (Quebec) by King Louis XIV between 1663-1673. The link is to a government of Canada site and in turn I recommend the book by Yves Landry that is scanned at the site. I could read the pages listing the names of the young women with my rudimentary French and they are fascinating. Although there is some discussion among public tree owners on Ancestry Canada website I don't believe there is an official link or data base on that site.
    It is said that if you have French Canadian roots 75% of your 7th or 8th generation great grandmothers were "Filles du Roi".

• Useful Useful x 1