1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Know your onions

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Intent on exploring some offshoot lines on my maternal (Adams) side, I came across the spouse named Angelina and sought to find her maiden name. I duly found it and it was Angelina Onions. That did not over worry me even if it did make my eyes water:rolleyes: (sorry). My first thought was I bet she's glad to become an Adams.

However I had to take issue with an Ancestry Researcher with whom I communicated who told me the name is likely to have been pronounced 'On-ay-ons' or perhaps 'On-hi-ons'(Reminds me of Mrs Bucket (Bouquet)). I disagreed, no reason just thought it was plain, common or garden (particularly the latter) ONIONS.

So let me throw it open as I have no proof either way, was in Onions or On-ay(hi)-ons? What does anyone else think?

We are talking the around the 1860's in the Midlands, Warwickshire/Staffordshire and her husband was a Jewellery Repairer likely in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Well at least the other researcher didn't suggest that it be pronounced "O'Nions":D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Well Bob, like you I would pronounce it as the vegetable onions, that is unless there is an Irish connection, then it could be O'nions.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I think I have come across this. There was a writer called Oliver Onions and I just presumed it was pronounced as spelt, then I heard him being discussed on the radio and hardly recognised him. I belive he is generally pronounced 'oh-NY-ons', although, to muddy the waters, and add some Hyacinth Bucket, his family pronounced it like the vegetable. Not sure if it was Oliver or his publisher/agent who went for the change. Actually to wander ever further from the thread, I believe he was actually George Oliver Onions, and legally changed his name to George Oliver, but continued to write as Oliver Onions.

5. Bob Spiers

Most interesting Liberty and about on par with what the other researcher was trying to tell me. I think she (for it was a lady) was going on some hand-me-down information for what it was worth. I still think the vegetable pronunciation wins the day as with Oliver's family. Good for them.

6. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

My grandmother's surname was Onions. The name was always pronounced like the vegetable by all the family. She was born in Shropshire where there seem to have been a lot of Onions:)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Sorry Bob and TimE, I am waiting for it to stop rain-n-ning before venturing out and idly surfing the forum. I can't resist remarking that I wouldn't have thought there was "shallot" of variation of pronunciation of names in the Amaryllidaceae family. ;)

8. Bob Spiers

After that let's hope the sun shines:p