1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is Ancestry rewriting history?

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Bryman, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

In celebration of Trafalgar Day, I have just received a message from Ancestry asking . . .

Were there any seafarers in your past?
    More than 200 years ago Admiral Nelson led the British Navy against the massive Spanish Armada.
    Set sail now and discover your seafaring ancestors.

In my dreams perhaps!
    I was never a history fanatic at school but even I remember that it was Sir Francis Drake that should be credited with the victory over the French off Cape Trafalgar! ;)

• Creative Creative x 2
  2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Good for you , Bryman. Put Ancestry in their place!!

3. Tim Clarke

Tim Clarke Member

Well done!! I hope you've told Ancestry!

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I wonder how many people have proudly added Ancestry's "facts" to the family tree they acquired by copying other people's trees. I am surprised Ancestry hasn't gone back to William the Conqueror, who knows what they would have made of that if anyone thought they could trace their tree back to 1066!!

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

With the best will in the world there is a little difference between a faux pas in an Ancestry advertising blurb and 'facts' available to be copied into your Ancestry Tree. There are two ways facts are acquired: those found through your our research where authenticity is down to you (it either does or doesn't relate); or those found via their useful 'Hints' facility and some, of course, via information from viewing another's Tree. Always remembering the ball's in your court, the fact either does or doesn't relate to the person in your Tree.

All B.M.D, Census/Electoral Roll and other more varied data are genuine; applicable to someone somewhere. You are invited to REVIEW or IGNORE. If unsure then you REVIEW and verify from the extended detail and then choose : YES/ NO/ MAYBE. If you select 'yes' you are asked if you want to copy to your Tree; if 'no' the item is removed and with 'maybe' you get the chance to review again later. A simple but effective method of laying information at your feet that would likely take hours of further research.

If you choose to view another's (Public) Tree the system is the same -review/ignore - where review is the best option unless you can see at a glance it relates to someone completely different. For the most part there will be more than one Tree so you can view each in turn to see whether some or all apply and pass by those that do not. Once you latch on to a likely match you tick the box and then compare like for like with your own Tree. It is often the work of moment to know whether you have the genuine article or an impostor. Indeed it is the part I enjoy most, and the one that often proves fruitful. Most times my own Tree is more advanced, but not always and then it is a joy to latch on to someone with more information and the chance to communicate with others as I have done on many occasions.

As I have posted elsewhere the new Ancestry format can be richly rewarding when used as intended and I think Ancestry deserve praise for their new setup. Shame the same praise does not apply to their advertising department!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015