1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Irish Pension Application records

Discussion in 'More Irish Resources' started by Charlotte26, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

Hello
    Does anyone know what pension applicants born between 1851 and 1864 did to claim their pension? I have been searching at www. ireland-genealogy.com and have found a likely name, but the person I am searching for was born about 1854 (using age at death and 1901 & 1911 census ages as a guide). The application form only mentions the names of the parents in 1841 and doesn't identify a child or child's age.
    Thanks

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

That's a very good question and no one seems to have been willing to answer when I tried a simple Google search . However considering that when pensions were introduced in 1908 you had to be 70 to apply those born between 1851- 1864 would not have been eligible until 1920. I'd hazard a guess that the 1901 and 1911 census must have been used (since they have survived in good shape) after 1920 until birth registration kicked in but I can't find any confirmation of that. The subject of pensions interested me as I have a possible "family" member on the 1911 census proudly saying she is a pensioner!!

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

For the benefit of anyone not familiar with this topic, a reminder that the 1861 and 1871 Ireland census forms were destroyed shortly after the censuses were taken, whilst the 1881 and 1891 forms were pulped during the Great War. In 1925 a new pension system was introduced in the UK with eligibility from age 65 - I don't know when the age changed in Ireland.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. deb

deb LostCousins Member

Of interest to those searching Irish Protestants of the period--a couple weeks ago Findmypast uploaded a set of "Church of Ireland Parish Record Search Forms." Evidently baptism records, at least from Church of Ireland, could also be used to prove pension eligibility. Found my great grandfather Glasgow Johnston's verification form confirming his baptism in 1845. It was dated 11 Mar 1921 so evidently this system was still in use then--and possibly not much longer as it's my understanding that these records were among those burned in the 1922 Public Records Office fire.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. peter

From 1908 to 1925 pensions were means-tested. There are some statistics here - the same article also points out that most of the pensioners were women, although interestingly the discrepancy between the numbers of 70 and 75-year old men and women on the 1911 Census isn't as great as I would have expected.

6. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I think that the term 'pensioner' was used by some people before the introduction of the State Pension. What exactly was meant by it I am not sure, but I think I have instances in my tree. I think it maybe meant the person had savings or a 'private income.'

7. peter

Pensioner usually meant army pensioner. People who had their own income were typically described as 'Independent' or 'Annuitant'.