1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ireland BMD online

Discussion in 'More Irish Resources' started by Fern49, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

Since Peter advertised in the newsletter that the above records were now online, after many years searching I have now filled in the 'gaps' on my paternal g/grandparents & their families even down to the death records stating their illness. A fantastic resource.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2016
  2. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Thanks for the reminder of the resource. I have spent some time looking at the details on the birth and death registers for some of my family. Mostly I can read the entries, and recognise place names, but this one has me stumped. It comes from District of Ballynoe, Fermoy Union in the County of Cork. The birthplace given (in 3 separate places) looks like Spikil (?) but I can't find anything in the area that it could be. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I had a quick look for you in the Topographical Maps of Ireland (extracts from which can be found by visiting Library Ireland online). Can't say I discovered anything obvious (Unless a corruption of Spike Island) but you may have better luck and its a useful resource anyway for deciphering Irish place names. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Searching on Google maps in the general area mentioned I came across Spikle. Could this be the place in question?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Could well be but I can't find it on Google, can you be more specific where you found it? Thanks

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It shows up for me if I put Spikle into the place search at Google maps. But it's about 2km east of Knockmourne, 12km south east of Fermoy and about 6km west of Tallow on the R628.

7. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Thanks Pauline, I've seen it now.