1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Interpreting 1939 Register annotation

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Bob Spiers, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Not often I seek help in interpreting things, but am stuck on trying to find out what a green annotation implies on a 1939 Register item.

I show it below and you can see the annotation clearly shows A A then unreadable (to me at any rate)
    upload_2019-9-26_10-14-41.png
    Despite the transcription showing her as Alexander Watts and Male *(Unpaid domestic duties) I can tell you she is as is shown on the extract Alexandra Watts, married to a Charles O Watts.
    *Error reported to FMP

Note she is scored out with a red line and do not understand why, so perhaps the green annotation would explain things, as would the Red annotation on the extreme right which is cut off in its prime and can only read ..."See CL (could be CR) 3.." (probably 1 or 2 further numbers).

As my research is somewhat of a fishing trip I cannot provide more information, but I feel it would help to know what the scoring out and annotations convey. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. Bob Spiers

Edit:
    I discover Charles married an Alexandra A Bridge in 1924 so perhaps the green annotation does read A A Bridge? Not that the writing could in anyway be interpreted as 'Bridge' apart perhaps from the first letter, and why need for an annotation anyway for someone married well before the Register was compiled?

3. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

A postem on Freebmd attached to the marriage entry states that she was “Alexandra Annie M Bridge - my Auntie May”. Could the green writing be A A May?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Bob, FreeBMD shows a Dennis G W Watts registered birth Sept qtr. 1927 MMN Bridge, Droitwich 6c 278. On the left side of the page on Alexandra's line written in green is what looks like "1/2 Med Wos 13-7-59" does this date ring any bells?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Bob, I have a couple of instances of similar red and green amendments amongst my own relatives, which may help to shed light on this.

Firstly, one of my relatives appears twice in the 1939 register at two different addresses. One of these entries is scored out with a red line in a similar way to the one you report, and there is a note in the 'instructions' column on the right, also in red, to 'See Page 2 BK 2' presumably referring to the other entry for the same person. It's definitely the same person in both entries: same name, DoB, occupation and marital status of 'Separated'. Is it possible that your Alexandra has another entry in the register?

Secondly, a great aunt of mine's first name was Richmal but she never used that name and was always known by her middle name of Nellie. Accordingly, she is in the 1939 register as Nellie. But directly above this is written in green 'Richmal Nellie', obviously as a correction giving her official name. Having looked at the postem LynSB reports (the correction apparently reported by a niece/great niece of Alexandra), I think the green writing in your entry is A A May, and it looks like she may have preferred the forename May.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's what I was going to say.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Bob Spiers

Thanks everyone, lovely responses and I am certain sure the scoring through indicates a duplicate entry, and the annotations as you all say. However, in the light of my comment I was on a fishing trip, I have since discovered the Alexander (yes Alexander) Watts I set out to find has now been found and this time no annotations or scorings through to cause problems. I think the annotations roused my curiosity hence my posting. Thanks again.