1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Interesting reads

Discussion in 'Workhouses and the Poor Laws' started by Carla, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I thought i would recommend a couple of books to read if you have found one of your ancestors ended up in the Workhouse. They make for a fascinating insight into the lives of inmates and staff alike.......

The Workhouse Cookbook by Peter Higginbotham

Voices from the Workhouse by Peter Higginbotham

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Highlight the words click the chain button, type or paste in the link in the box that appears.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Oh i seeeeeee.......when you highlight the words the chain link appears :D Erm the link is for Amazon so maybe i wont post that here as members can find that themselves. Thank you so much Alexander :cool:

4. Heilan Lass

Heilan Lass LostCousins Member

Another interesting item is an eye witness account from 1879 entitled "Christmas Day in the Workhouse". The Workhouse in question is the Sheppey Union Minster Workhouse on the Isle of Sheppey on the north coast of Kent. It's nice to think that for at least one day in the year those in charge did try to make the normally miserable Workhouse conditions a little more bearable for the inmates - assuming that the author did give a true report and not just a "rose coloured glasses" version from a benefactor's point of view.

5. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Some of my books arrived today so will let you know what i think of all the reconciliations...just looking for that book too, thank you. (i can see a new book shelf being needed at this rate.......or a new room for family history stuff!)