1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Incorrect entries?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by JennyMB, Feb 10, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In that case I would enter his name as Abraham, just as I would have done if he'd filled in the form as well as signing it. What a transcriber would do would depend on the protocol, but for this census the transcript is only an aid.

2. I am becoming frustrated with the checking of my entries mainly I think because I am getting lost in the Help and Advice and Read This First sections.
    I simply cannot find or recall where the advice about schedule numbers for 1911 is.
    I have an entry that I had spent about 10 minutes last April, trying to get it to match with FMP.
    I have now found the guy in FMP but I am unable to see a schedule number because I am being asked to pay for the privilege.
    The man in question is an Able Seaman Military Branch at Colchester. This is from Ancestry:
    Registration District Number 47
    Sub-registration district Gillingham
    ED, institution, or vessel 36
    Piece 3962

What am I supposed to use in LC?

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I looked at Ancestry using those parameters and got a page with many names, which, if I understand correctly, means the schedule number should be 9999.

4. peter

Have you read this FAQ?

5. peter

At Ancestry you'll always get lots of search results when you search using the 1911 census references.

6. Obviously not as I hadn't been able to remember where to look. That link didn't take me to the FAQs page but I found what you were referring to.

I've now entered 9999 in my person's record and FMP gives me 3,252 results. My person's last name begins with G, I've got as far as page 13 and still on letter B.
    I feel as though I'm looking for the proverbial needle and have now given up and moved on to the next person.

7. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Peter's link went to the FAQ page when I looked on my tablet, but when I used my desktop it just took me to the My Summary page.
    I wonder why?

8. Quirks of technology? :rolleyes::)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. peter

As a general rule, when you get too many results from a search, refine it.

In this case entering your relative's surname is probably the simplest solution - even if his surname was Smith you won't get more than a few pages of results. For example, if I click the arrow against my relative Charles Palfrey I get 4378 results, but if I add his surname to the search I get just one (or 62 if I enter the surname Smith).

10. Ah, I see how it's done now. I didn't realise I could add things to the search at left after I have the results from using the arrow to check.

11. peter

You can also delete things, so that if you don't get any results and suspect that the census references are wrong you can selectively delete them. It's just a normal search.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1