1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Image Searching on Google

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Alexander Bisset, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Do you know Carla that you can do the Google search the other way round? When on the Google homepage click on the word "Images" on the black bar. Now instead of typing in text click on the little camera icon on the right bar where you'd normally type text. Click upload an image and choose the image you want to search for from your machine. Google will then search the web for all occurrences of that image.

It's quite a clever search and should show you everywhere that image is available. Have a try with your grandfather and report back!!

• Good tip Good tip x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thank you Alexander. That was very interesting!! I tried it with quite a few pictures but actually didnt have any matches. I did get a few similar pictures but i am going to try it with all the photos i have posted now. I think maybe the person who copied my picture now has a private tree on Ancestor so maybe that is why it doesn't show up? I have taken advice posted on here to go back to web pages and check out the settings where i have posted pictures and information so maybe that has helped?

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Yes Google can only index content that it can reach which means stuff that is publicly available. The interesting thing is that in addition to just words which everyone is familiar with searching, they also index images too.

This forum is largely public so the avatar pics here will show up in a search.

What is really interesting is to search old family photos although as you say you are less likely to get a hit. What can be really useful is searching for a pic with landmarks in it. Eg: the other week I was looking at photos with my parents and couldn't recall where a set of photos had been taken one was of a big imposing castle. So I Googled it and found where it was!!

Another one was a painting I have in my living room of a Scottish view, mountains, loch, trees few sheep etc. I had no idea of where it was but my dad was convinced it was called the Queen's view at Loch Rannoch. So I took a picture of the painting with my phone and uploaded that to Google and low and behold I got lots of matches that said it was the Queen's View, Loch Rannoch.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1