1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Humo-Gen a free genealogy research program

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Norman, May 20, 2016.

1. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Thought I would post a link to a genealogy data recording program that I had not come across before.

Before reading further, two caveats.
    • I have NO connection with the program or author
    • The program has to be installed and run from a web server. It is not a PC or MAC based application so runs within a personal web site
    I have tried many of the programs that purport to provide information on-line and none have given me the functionality I needed. Up till now I have used Rootsmagic to produce a web site on my PC that I then upload to my web server for family and friends to view on-line. The current version can be viewed here.

Recent changes and the hassle of uploading more than 3400 files every time I want to update it meant updating was not too frequent.

A Rootmagic forums member mentioned a program that was on his short list for evaluation and, rather than wait, I decided to install and test it myself. It is called HuMo-Gen. Be aware that you will need web space that includes MySql database and PHP.

I only installed it yesterday but, so far, I am delighted with what is possible. It can be used to both record and display your data in many forms and can be populated and updated with just a single gedcom file upload.

It supports "privatisation" and allows for a "guest" access that requires no login also "family" and "admin" logins for greater access rights.

Here is the "guest" access for my data. It has not yet been integrated into my family web site.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2