1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 69 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,448 new entries have been added and
    • 292 relatives have been matched.
    A good set of numbers for this week. New entries is almost double what it was last week and New Matches is 3 times!

New entries going up is good for everyone, just a shame now that Ms Grumpy has left.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    upload_2016-4-29_16-54-27.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

And a free weekend starting today*, so a great time to add those distant cousins from 1881 to your My Ancestors page - and invite those distant cousins from 2016 to join!

* even if you've got a subscription, think of all those people who haven't who will be on the site

3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 53 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,953 new entries have been added and
    • 186 relatives have been matched.
    Another good set of numbers for this week. When the numbers are high is always means good news for us all.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-5-6_18-11-42.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 24 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,811 new entries have been added and
    • 74 relatives have been matched.
    A quiet week, summer may just be arriving in the northern hemisphere, and I managed to get 2 barbeques in last weekend. :)

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-5-13_10-33-15.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I don't wish to be uncharitable but if better weather leads to less activity then perhaps I should be wishing you a delayed start to summer in UK. But I shall not because I am not really that mean. Instead, I wish you all the best of both worlds - fine (unseasonal!) weather and a few odd moments to keep the LC entries ticking over. :)

Currently, NZ is experiencing rather an 'indian summer' with good barbeque conditions extending into the equivalent of mid November for UK! (That is just to make everyone else feel jealous. :cool:) It is actually so dry that a total outdoor fire ban has been reintroduced. We could really do with some rain. Sending us a British weather forecaster for the TV is not enough.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 33 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,192 new entries have been added and
    • 60 relatives have been matched.
    Another quiet week with some low numbers. New members are up but otherwise pretty quiet.

Anyone had any success lately?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-5-20_15-6-55.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

My wife just found her first 'lost cousin' - and she was her cousin's first 'lost cousin' too, so there are at least two happy members this weekend.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 55 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,847 new entries have been added and
    • 87 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers up on last week, that's great to see. It's a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and I'm going to use FTAnalyzer to help me find and load the next batch of relatives to load.
    I see from My Summary that I haven't enterred any for a couple of months!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-5-27_10-50-24.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Bryman

Don't you enter each family as soon as you have entered the census details on to your tree? I do. Its the only way that I can avoid missing details from My Ancestors page. If I don't put them up immediately then they would probably be omitted for ever. :eek:

10. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

As Red says, using FTA is the best way. It lists everyone that can be added and, if you add a Lost Cousins Fact once you add them to The Lost Cousins site, FTA only shows you the ones you haven't added in a nice simple report.

11. Bryman

Sorry Tim, Red and everyone else. Perhaps I could have expressed that rather better.

I am a great fan of FTA and think it is a terrific program and extremely useful. I was not trying to oppose its use but was just surprised that it should be used to prompt the addition of entries for LC by such an experienced researcher as Red with a large number of census references on his My Ancestors page.

I know that it can be used in that way but the corresponding report in FTA has sometimes been a litle confusing to me. Of course, everyone can work how ever they like. The main requirement is that having done all of the hard work in finding the relevant references, it would be a great shame if an oversight caused them to be omitted from LC and hence not available for matches with those of the greater community.

I had not intended to criticize and hope that I am not digging myself into an even deeper hole. However, I do believe that it is better to keep LC fully up to date with references found rather than temporarily forget about LC and then do a mass update after an extended period. Sorry if I misunderstood the original post.

12. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bryman, I know Red can speak for himself, but for me I find myself absorbed in tracking down the relatives as they move through time. That new relative or discovered marriage back in the early 1800's can produce 100's of people to add as I move forward through the censuses. To stop at that point in time and then pick it up later seems wrong to me. And as you say, everyone has their own way of achieving the same goal, i.e. adding our relatives to Lost Cousins.

Here is the report for me from FTA. As you can see, I also have some people to add. I can drill into each of these census years and it lists all the people I can add to Lost Cousins.
    upload_2016-5-28_11-46-33.png

And let me apologise also Bryman, when I said using FTA was the best way I should have clarified and said it was the best way for me :)
    Anyway that ensures we add all that we can to Lost Cousins is the best way!

13. Bryman

Tim, I fully agree that FTA can be of great value in the circumstances that you describe but I even get worried if the number of missing LC facts or census facts gets as high as double figures. For me any reported mis-match is normally caused by me not being consistent when updating these facts to reflect what I have already input to LC.
    I prefer to use FTA to highlight my waywardness rather than to keep check on unfinished business.

There was a time when FTA reported missing facts (LC vs Census) the wrong way round and caused confusion.
    A quick look on Codeplex failed to identify the issue so I cannot provide chapter and verse here but I assume it has been corrected in the latest release as it is no longer an open issue.

I eagerly look forward to the day when everyone has entered their outstanding references and left FTA nothing to list at the bottom of that report.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 50 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,249 new entries have been added and
    • 152 relatives have been matched.
    Some nice steady numbers. I did manage to load some 1841 ancestors, and then got completely sidetracked!! Hopefully do some more tomorrow

Anyone had any success lately?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-6-3_18-13-18.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 35 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,268 new entries have been added and
    • 58 relatives have been matched.
    A very quiet week. Come on Tim, looks like you can enter some people, every little helps!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-6-10_11-11-58.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 56 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,727 new entries have been added and
    • 71 relatives have been matched.
    A nice jump in new members and new entries. Let's hope that this trend continues and we all get some Matches.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-6-17_15-35-38.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 44 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,478 new entries have been added and
    • 91 relatives have been matched.
    Nice steady numbers. Match ratio 1:16, every 16th person entered produced a match.
    New members are still joining so we can expect to see more entries soon. If these are your contacts who have joined, make sure you tell them about FTAnalyzer, which is free and can be used to identify and provide the info that you need to enter at the Lost Cousins site.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-6-24_11-21-38.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 57 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,406 new entries have been added and
    • 78 relatives have been matched.
    A steady week, bit quiet but I'm sure we'll see some good numbers soon.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-7-1_10-38-29.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 34 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,626 new entries have been added and
    • 128 relatives have been matched.
    New Entries and New Matches are up. The ratio of New Entries to Relatives Matched was 1:13, every 13th person entered made a match!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-7-9_17-19-18.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 59 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,145 new entries have been added and
    • 153 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers up on last week! That's what we like to see!! Let's hope that this trend continues and we all get some Matches.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2016-7-15_11-55-0.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2