1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How many Grandparents have you found?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Britjan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Well, if you consider that the number of people who have taken autosomal DNA tests like Family Finder is greater than the number of people worldwide who have Ancestry subscriptions, then YES!

2. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I have just been separating my direct line into a new tree ready for dna results, so it was quite simple to bring up an ancestor report.

1G GP - 8/8
    2G GP - 16/16
    3G GP - 24/32
    4G GP - 24/64
    5G GP - 8/128
    6G GP - 6/256
    7G GP - 4/512
    8G GP - 4/1024
    9G GP - 4/2048
    10G GP - 7/4096
    11G GP - 6/8192
    12G GP - 4/16384

This may look impressive but is not, the report I used lists people that are not fully researched, so 3G GP has two missing surnames and the generation before has some as well, although most have marriage and death dates. In the 8 G GP two 3rd cousins married and that means that 11G GP and 12G GP line has people in twice, and one of the 12 G GP is just Agnes who was buried 23 November 1570. I only have her details from christenings of her children in the 1540's, her husband was John Grist and there are no dates for him, other than implied from the children's births.

It does mean though that I do not have 8192 11G GP's as one family is in there twice, and every generation before them is also smaller, but there is still enough work to do!