1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Historic & Modern OS Maps

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Nov 3, 2013.

1. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Thanks Alexander for explaining this - I can see that the fact types are generally custom ones

Recorded unknown fact type Banns
    Recorded unknown fact type Divorced
    Recorded unknown fact type Petition
    Recorded unknown fact type Possible marriage
    Recorded unknown fact type Employment
    Recorded unknown fact type Address
    and some I can change to be more consistent (Employment to Occupation for example).
    The date errors are:
    Error parsing date 'ABT 966' for I15317: William' error message was : String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    Error parsing date 'BEF 963' for I15318: Guillaume TALVAS' error message was : String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    Error parsing date 'ABT 980' for I15319: Matilda DE GANELON' error message was : String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    Error parsing date 'ABT 942' for I15320: Yves DE CREIL' error message was : String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    Error parsing date '997' for I15320: Yves DE CREIL' error message was : startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    I have tried removing the ABT and BEF, but it makes no difference - I just get a different error (see last entry). As you can see there are only a few, so I'm not concerned, but if there is a fix, it may help others with more really old ancestors.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've added support for 3 digit years with the proviso that its the year only ie: any of the above examples would work but a 3 digit year with a month/day combo would fail as that is far more likely to be a typo. I reckoned that for any genuine 3 digit years it is exceptionally unlikely that you know the actual month or day of the event. Thus this seemed like a decent compromise. Understand years without failing to pick up combinations that are likely to be an error.

3. Alexander Bisset

BTW for Banns/Divorce/Petition are they family facts or individual facts. They should be supported if they are family facts as there are official GEDCOM tags for them.

MARB - Marriage Banns
    MARC - Marriage Contract
    DIV - Divorce
    DIVF - Divorce Filed
    ANUL - Annulment
    ENGA - Engagement

Are the additional ones for a family fact. It may be that you created specific custom events if your family tree program didn't understand these official ones. However if it does understand them it would probably be best to use the official tags.

4. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

The banns/divorce are not ones that I have set up (not knowingly, anyway!), just ones in the default event list provided with Legacy.

Thanks, I'll give it a go with just the years.

5. Alexander Bisset

Ah ok Anne have you got a GEDCOM snippet of how Legacy records Banns/Divorce you can show me. It may be it's using non standard tags.

6. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I've just created a Banns and Divorce for myself (so it's easy to find on the gedcom, at the top), and it looks like:

1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Banns
    1 DIV

7. Alexander Bisset

Hmm ok, so Banns is using a custom event rather than MARB. Whereas Divorce is correctly using DIV tag. I know that Legacy 8 is in beta maybe they've fixed this bug in version 8 if not perhaps you should point it out. Basically it is converting the data from its internal database to GEDCOM and in the conversion process writing out the wrong tag.

8. Alexander Bisset

Version 3.1.2.0 is now out that will cope with your 3 digit years.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I'll report it, perhaps as you say it may have been fixed in v8.

10. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Ooooo, an LC ancestor number predictor? Sounds interesting, not sure I can wait till next July though!!