1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Historic Copies of House Deeds

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by DavidP, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

I have been in correspondence with the North Riding of Yorkshire County Records Office (NRYCRO) with the aim of obtaining copies of the house deeds for some houses that I believe my great grandfather Thomas Coverdale built and owned.

NRYCRO have advised that: "I'm afraid that searching the registry from 1871 through to August 1970 for a single address is not possible as the registry is only indexed by party (vendor only until 1879) and by township (until 1965)." This seems a bit odd as it seems to defeat the purpose of doing a search. Perhaps it is easier if you are there in person to trawl through the records, but it's not as easy when searching from a distance.

What I was after were the deeds to Nos 1 - 4 Railway Terrace, Sowerby, Thirsk as there is a family story that these were owned by Thomas. Nos 1 and 4 were definitely owned by my grandmother (his daughter) until her death in 1955.

Anyway, thanks to the NRYCRO, I have now obtained the deeds from when the land was originally subdivided in 1871 and these show that Francis Pattison, shoemaker, bought a large parcel of land once known as Bell House Field. He then parceled up the land and sold it as follows:

Plots 1 & 2 to John B Curtiss
    Plot 3 to Charles Goodill
    Plot 4 to Richard King
    Plots 5 & 6 to Tomas Coverdale

No doubt there were other plots, but the records I have do not go that far.

Unfortunately none of the Memorials of sale include a copy of the plot layout, so I have no idea of the whereabouts of the land in relation to the new street, although logic would say that plot 1 would be No 1, plot 2 No 2 etc. Hah, another theory bites the dust!

The 1881 census has the following people living in Railway Terrace:

No 1 William Richardson
    No 2 Richard King and family
    No 3 Alfred Busfield and family
    No 4 Thomas Coverdale and family

Through to 1911, the only families that are consistent residents are the Kings at No 2 and the Coverdales (or descendants) at No 4.

I spent a few hours this last weekend looking through old newspapers on Find My Past, hoping to see an advertisement for the original sale to no avail (but I did see a few articles concerning the state of the drains in Railway Terrace up until the turn of the century and a whole lot of other irrelevant but interesting stories. :rolleyes:)

Does anyone know of any other way of finding out who owned a property way back when? It's not a huge problem and not worth spending loads of money to sort out. It would just be nice to sort out yet another family story/myth.

2. Jeremy Wilkes

Jeremy Wilkes LostCousins Star

I have not yet had reason to consult memorials from the Yorkshire or Middlesex registries, but am not surprised by their being arranged by personal name: the land charges register is similarly indexed.
    For the earlier part of the period, registers of electors may help. Around 1911 there was the Lloyd George Domesday survey. For large estates (over an acre) the 1873 returns of owners of land are useful. More of a long shot is to buy copies of the title to such parts of the land as have been registered; these may name previous owners who entered into restrictive covenants or granted or received easements.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried looking at the National Library of Scotland's map website. I know its Scotland but they have English maps too. I did a search and if you zoom right into that street it shows 202 maps available. Most are old OS maps some might give land ownership. They will at least show land subdivisions. Some of the maps of the area went back well before 1871 to the 1850s.

Note that some of the results will show results where the area doesn't appear these are typically maps of the whole area. In this case the whole area being defined as Scotland because its a Scottish site. It does make the searching a tad more difficult as you get some non Yorkshire results but it might prove fruitful. eg: this map includes the terrace and this one pre-dates it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. DavidP

Thanks, Jeremy and Alexander. I think Jeremy's idea might be the way to go - depends on the cost, although I can see I will be spending several hours on the Scotland map site - another one to be bookmarked!

5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

As I understand it, paper deeds are no longer used, details are to be stored digitally. It would be good if solicitors could deposit them with some organisation willing to archive, if the vendor or new owner had no interest in them.

6. DavidP

That has been the case here in NZ for some time, but the old deeds have been scanned and electronic copies of the full ownership history of properties are available. However, a surveyor acquaintance has said that that some of the background documentation has not been kept in some cases.

7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Could have been the case here in UK for some time? When I aquired my present property in 2001, the deeds were just handed over to me by the solicitor(no mortgage) but maybe the ownership was recorded electronically back then? Doubt the documents were scanned though.