1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Help wanted--orphan in 1841 Census

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Robbie, Aug 16, 2013.

Discussion Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbie

Robbie New Member

Can anyone suggest how I might locate an orphaned child in the 1841 Census? My 2x gt grandmother, Jane Williams, lost her mother at birth in 1831 in Ullingswich. Her father Richard, died when she was 9, just before the 1841 Census. She married John Bruton in 1853, but her father's name on the marriage entry is George, not Richard. There was another Jane Williams b 1823 also in Ullingswick--father---yes--George Williams! That Jane b 1831, is the dau of Richard is confirmed by the 1871 Census, when she was stated to be 38 yrs old.
    I think she must have been brought up by a George Williams, and knowing perhaps no other father, gave his name as her father's name, instead of Richard Williams. Whether this George was the same George as the father of Jane b 1823, I don't know. Also not known is whether Richard and George were related--seems likely.
    There is no other John Bruton /Jane Williams marriage in the Indexes--either at GRO or at Hereford Registrars. Jane, age 19, is on the 1851 Census. I cannot locate her on the 1841--problem being lack of relationships / place of birth on that Census.
    I can find no marriage or suitable death entry for the Jane Williams bapt 1823, which would eliminate her totally from this problem.
    I wonder also, if perhaps there is an error here. Did the Incumbent make an error---on the 1853 marriage, there was also a witness named George Williams! Did the Vicar lose his notes--only remember George Williams, and enter that name also as brides father? Possible!

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Robbie, the two Jane Williams baptisms are on family search.... Jane 1823, father George, mother Maria baptised 20 April 1823. Jane 1831, father Richard, mother Eleanor, baptised 26 December 1831 both in Ullingswich. Have you tried looking for both Janes' siblings and trying to find the 1831 one that way in 1841?

3. Robbie

Robbie New Member

Hello Heather, Thanks for your input. I have everything that is available on Family Search. Yes, I have the siblings of Jane, dau of George, 1823 (5)- Jane dau of Richard seems to have been an only child. (Richard and Eleanor marr 1829 and I find no birth between then and Jane, 1831). However determining the marriages of those children of George / Maria, is not easy--too many possibles. I can see no alternative to searching all Hereford 1841, village by village. Even then no guarantee that she was in the County in 1841!

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

This link Genuki shows all the parishes within 5 miles of Ullingswick for a start. Genuki also notes that "Herefordshire has a number of ex-par (extra parochial) areas , land uninhabited in Anglo -Saxon times and outside the jurisdiction of ecclesiastical or civil parishes. Residents could choose a nearby parish for baptisms etc. " I did not know that so thanks for tempting me to look at Genuki, a site that refreshes my hazy recollection of the counties and all things pertaining to them.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The Brick Walls area of the forum will open soon. For now this discussion is closed.

Discussion Status:
Not open for further replies.