1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Hawick

Discussion in 'Roxburghshire' started by Emma, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Just a quick note to refer to my post on Exmoor in Devon. Apparently some shepherds from Hawick travelled from there to Exmoor as part of an agricultural experiment. Have a look at www.hoarcottage.org for further details.

2. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

3. Valzie

Emma, this interests me as I have Hawick shepherds among my ancestors; but the link didn't work.

Now fixed - Tim

4. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I think the right link could be Hoar Oak Cottage

5. Valzie

Thank you! A fascinating story, especially to me, as I know Exmoor too.

6. Emma

Emma Member

Sorry! In my eagerness I missed out an important part of the address. As Valzie correctly says it should be www.hoaroakcottage.org. Hope you find something useful - it looks a good project anyway.

7. Emma

Emma Member

Valzie - have just been reading the Spring Newsletter from Hoar Oak Cottage courtesy of my link to the Devon FHS facebook page. If you haven't already seen it the family names they are mentioning are : Johnstone/Moule/Bales/Little/Antell/Rawle/Hobbs/Jackson/Vellacott/Taylor.
    Would be lovely if you were able to make a connection :)

8. Emma

Emma Member

Interesting piece on the Hoar Oak cottage website looking for the descendants of the Johnstone family from Dumfries - photo too. :)