1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Have I discovered something new or has it always been there - in Ancestry

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, Sep 16, 2020.

1. On the Search All Records page (I don't have it set to 'old search') there is a list of recently viewed collections which I haven't really taken too much notice of until now.
    To see what's what I clicked on 'see more' and was presented with a list of every collection I have visited, including 'Dougal's Unclaimed Money Register 1910' and I have absolutely no recollection of seeing that.
    I can also look at viewed records and recent searches.
    It really makes me feel big brother is watching me.
    Admittedly there is a dustbin beside each record so I can delete them but it is one by one.

How useful do you think this facility is?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It could be really useful for those who can't remember where they found something. But so much of my research is unrelated to my own tree that it probably won't help me.

Findmypast have a similar feature but it lists individual records, which makes it rather unwieldy (I have 1065 pages with 20 items per page). Ancestry's feature seems to be better thought out.

3. I would wholeheartedly agree if the lists went back further in time.
    My Recent Searches go back to 26 Aug 2020
    My Viewed Records go back to 29 Aug 2020
    My Viewed Collections go back to 23 Nov 2018. However, I view this list as next to useless because when you click on one of the collections you get the search page which gives you absolutely no idea which record you looked at.

On second thoughts the Shoebox is the best place to put something you want to remember.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

But they will do in the future - surely that's the key point?