1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Happisburgh history

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Liberty, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I must confess that my ears prick up any time I hear or read the name Happisburgh, because it's where my grandfather was born.

Peter mentioned in the latest newsletter the discovery of prehistoric human footprints on the seashore at Happisburgh in Norfolk. There was also a fairly recent announcement of discovery of flint tools in the same location. The British Museum site on the Happisburgh project says 'The deposits found at Happisburgh containing artefacts have been named the Hill House Formation, after the Hill House public house, in Happisburgh village, 200 metres from the site and directly above the inland continuation of the ancient river channel.

Well, this is particularly pleasing to me as my GG parents ran the Hill House! In 1901 my 9 year old grandfather Gilbert John Cubitt, born Happisburgh, was recorded at Hill House Hotel. The household was headed by his widowed mother, Emma Dorcas Cubitt, who continued to run the hotel until her death in 1919, when she was succeeded by my great aunt. (Sherlock Holmes aficionados may already know of the hotel in another context)

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I wonder how many of them pronounce the name correctly?

3. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Alright Peter, let us into the secret - how is it pronounced?

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

You will find this mentioned on the forum in my post of Dec19th.

I heard the name spoken so may times in my childhood that it was quite a surprise to find how it was spelt. Norfolk place names for you!