1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Hackers strike again?

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by peter, Jun 28, 2014.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This morning I've found it difficult or impossible to visit sites that have adverts (even LostCousins stutters but is still usable).

Ancestry seems to be unavailable again, also findmypast and Origins. I could get to FreeBMD and Mocavo. Broadband Speedtest is unavailable, but I can get through to Ookla. Santander and Bank of America are unavailable, but I can get Nationwide and Natwest.

I've used multiple devices and multiple Internet connections, so I don't think it's me. Are others experiencing similar problems?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes. BBC works and Hotmail doesn't.

3. peter

All the sites that weren't working seem to be working again. Was it an attack or was there a major technical issue? Maybe Alexander will have the answer.

4. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

It has been alleged 'elsewhere' that BT is the common factor and they have had a server problem this morning.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

There was a significant DNS outage this morning from around 9:20am UK time. This affected the major BT hubs in London, this had a knock on effect throughout sites that relied on routes serviced by this hub. Note this was a regular technical fault and not hackers. It was fixed within two hours.

There was a work around available and that was to set your alternate DNS to use the Google open source DNS this is at 8.8.8.8 adding this DNS server as an alternate to your network settings would have meant that you would have had less issues.

6. peter

Thanks, Alexander - I did wonder if it might be a DNS problem, but when I had the same problem with my mobile connection it seemed unlikely. I'd also have thought it unusual for DNS problems to only affect specific sites.

However, what I was most worried about, having just published a newsletter, was being flooded with emails telling me that the links in my newsletter didn't work! Fortunately this didn't happen.

7. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

That explains why I was having what looked like DNS problems last night in New Zealand - it was very patchy, though, and it did look like it was mostly UK-hosted sites that I was unable to reach. I must try adding an alternate DNS.

8. peter

For the record, what I forgot is that because O2 (whose network GiffGaff utilise) were once part of BT, they still share some infrastructure.

• Agree Agree x 1