1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Great Canadian Disasters (by death toll)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Since I provided a link to similar statistics for Great Britain it seemed only fair to provide this link for Canada. The Halifax explosion during WW I is probably the historic event most Canadians would recall learning about in school or through some TV recreation. I first learned about Great Lake storms from the song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and members of my Canadian family have since recounted their memories of working on Great Lake boats. Our mariner ancestors, who ventured across many of the world's oceans, would have been surprised to hear that they could have encountered many storms of similar ferocity in the landlocked areas of Canada and the United States