1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Getting the surname spelling right

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Those few line about a Shropshire village have echoes within my own researches and Dawley (Shropshire) in particular, although my researches concentrated on the early to mid 1800's. I was seeking the family of a Thomas Webb from Dawley and what made this research more exciting was Dawley and WEBB have famous connections with (Captain) Mathew Webb of channel swimming fame who was born in Dawley, and had a brother Thomas.

As I have posted previously about my extensive searching for a connection I won't repeat them here. Suffice to say although my ancestor bore the same name as Mathew's brother - and born within a few years of one another - in the end I had to own that they were two different families. The Captain's father and brother were doctors' whereas mine came from good old coal mining stock. (I also concur about forenames being repetitive hence Thomas in both families)

2. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have seen some sources try to suggest that my husband's 3x great-grandmother is related to Lord Nelson because her last name was Nelson. All I know about her is that her father was Reverend Nelson, no first name - not a chance. She was from Ireland, born in 1784 and died in Canada in 1883.

3. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

Changing surnames have been the cause of endless false paths, time wasting and frustration in my researches. On my mother's side I faced the inevitable problems of tracing her Morgan line in Wales. To make things worse, it was common at one time for first and second names to be switched in different registers. Lewis Morgan became Morgan Lewis - and back again. Layered on that, every male seemed to be called Edward, Thomas, David or Robert. And if one died young a later child was given the name. The 1881 census was a blizzard of cousins with identical names, often with similar birth dates and usually living within a few doors of each other - sometimes in the same multi-generational home. Meanwhile, my mother's father's family suddenly changed the spelling of their surname around this time - or more likely, it was changed for them by a census enumerator.
    On my father's side the surname was spelled seven different ways from the 1911 census onward, via birth, marriage and death registers. My grandmother's maiden name was spelled five different ways. As Russian immigrants, I suppose that was inevitable, and perhaps why they all switched to anglicised names as adults. But enumerators created problems with even simple names. It took me ages to track down my great-grandfather in the 1891 census because he was listed as Obadich Runt rather than Obadiah Hunt. But that was nothing compared with the previous census, when he was living hundreds of miles away with two sons, listed only with initials TH and AS. The former was actually LH - and female - my great grandmother Lavinia Harriet.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Remind me never again to complain about researching my own remote welsh 'Jones' line. I have said before and say again, give me first names that roll of the tongue but are totally exclusive combined with a surname that cannot be spelled wrong -Ebenezer Zachariah Smith - fits the bill. Or my favourite trilogy of names, the Biblical sisters Kezia, Kerenhappuch & Jemima that appear in my wife's Tree. Imagine the fun the Enumerators and Transcribers had with those. But I liked your Obadich Runt mix up David.

5. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I have the fun of my Jewish line, where one person can be listed under a number of different surnames, and the fun of son's taking their mother's surnames rather than their fathers (that happened at least twice) so I have a few who are written under the original surname: Van Kollem; the name with the dropped "von", spelling switches between C & K; as well as the anglicised "Collins". And then it can honestly be a pot luck for which child took which surname, which version of the surname, or kept their father's name rather than taking their mothers... Or 90% of the family took the father's surname and only two or three just might have taken their mum's surname.

Then of course that doesn't take into account the given names and various spellings of those. Luckily I have been blessed with some hardworking researchers on the JewishGen site to help me out, but then I was trying to find a death register for a member of that particular family and it's very hard to know under what name the death certificate was put... and whether or not the English registrar knew how to spell it!

The anglicisation guaranteed that I ended up with a g-grandmother with the innocuous sounding English name of Catherine Collins, much better than what probably should have originally been her name, something along the lines of Catherine Henshau Leben/Van Kollem (depending of course on which surname her father chose!).

Bob, I also have some interesting names - my Dutch Jewish ancestors make sure of that, but in the rest of my tree I also have a "Kerenhappuch" (luckily not in the direct line) - and her name gets a few different variations, often missing the "h" at the end.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I would have thought knowing he was in the clergy would mean there is probably fairly good records about him. Since in those periods the clergy were effectively also the record keepers they were usually pretty good about keeping records of one of their own.