1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Genealogical Society of South Africa website

Discussion in 'Africa' started by AtcherleyOrgUK, Jul 5, 2013.

1. AtcherleyOrgUK

AtcherleyOrgUK LostCousins Member

eGSSA - the virtual branch of the Genealogical Society of South Africa

eGSSA provides a variety of resources which may prove useful if you are researching ancestors or relatives who migrated to South Africa:

South African gravestone photographs.
    Family Bible inscription pages
    Postcards
    South African Archive Documents
    Church Register Transcriptions
    Newspaper Extracts
    1820 Settler Correspondence
    South African Records Transcribed
    Passenger List Project

As far as I know, all of these resources are 'works in progress' with more content being added as time goes on. Some have been on the go for longer than others and have more to offer. I have found the gravestone photographs collection particularly helpful, but the Passenger List Project (in its early stages) managed to throw up a record of one of my Atcherleys who was on her way to marry her late sister's widowed husband - the list shows that one of the other passengers was murdered on the voyage!

eGSSA also offers a service whereby they will (for a fee) provide digital photographs of items held in South African Archives at Pretoria (TAB), Bloemfontein (VAB), Pietermaritzburg (NAB) and Durban(TBD). This could be useful if you have identified documents of interest in these repositories using the National Archives of South Africa website.

Steve