1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GEDCOM help needed

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by At home in NZ, Mar 19, 2022.

1. I want to create a GEDCOM that does not include the Fact Description fields. Does anybody know if it is possible? If so, how do I do it?
    Thanks.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Which family tree program(s) do you own? Most allow you to decide what goes into a GEDCOM.

Family Tree Analyzer might also do the job - well worth checking. There was a program called Res Privata but I believe it has not been updated for many years.

3. I use Ancestry and it doesn't have the facility to choose what you want to include.
    I have FTM, the choices are limited to what to include and to select certain individuals.
    According to what I found in Google Res Privata is A financial department of the Roman state etc.
    Putting genealogy after Res Privata reveals a website with a note to say it was discontinued in mid 2007.

I'll check FTA but don't recall reading anything about it in the manual but my memory can be flawed at times. It's too late to do it now, it's past my bedtime.

4. peter

Some of the software I use hasn't been updated since 2007 (or earlier). It doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work.

5. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Unfortunately, Ancestry (and therefore FTM) do not seem to comply with the GEDCOM standard. If you load an Ancestry GEDCOM into Family Historian you get a load of warnings and the "Description field" is transferred to a "+1" NOTE record (NOTE is not available in Ancestry's "drop down" list) - then you can delete all "NOTE" records. Other (free?) compliant programs may do something similar.

Edit: FTM does allow NOTE records but cannot convert Descriptions to to a separate record

6. I know what you mean, because I have a chart making program that is way out of support but, how does one purchase something that is discontinued?

7. I have checked FTA, it doesn't help. I've found another way of achieving what I want, i.e. an overview of my tree for somebody. Ancestor and descendant charts fit the bill.

8. peter

I carried out the same search as you did before mentioning Res Privata and one of the search results (from FHUG, I think) had a download link.

9. I found it here, although some of the language is double Dutch to me. I will investigate if the need arises.
    Thanks.