1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Kate, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any opinion as to whether it is worth upgrading Family tree maker 2012?
    As yet I have not found out how to download a specific branch of my tree, also I wondered if a later version of FTM would generate a potential problem report which Legacy and Rootsmagic include on their free down load.
    Thanks.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

FTM 2014 is dramatically better at merging data and synchronising with Ancestry other than that and a few tweaks there isn't that much different.

What sort of Problem report are you meaning? There has been a standard data errors report in FTM for every version I've ever used. If you want very detailed problem reports I'd naturally suggest my own FTAnalyzer program as that is its core purpose to analyse your tree find problems and suggest avenues for further research.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi, thanks for replying. I haven't had any problem synchronising with ancestry but with legacy it is possible to generate a list of possible problems ie children born after father's death, before parents marriage or burials before death. When I have checked these I have found the odd typing error, but most of those children were born before marriage! I did play with FTAnalyser before so should have another look as it was ages ago.

4. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks I had a look at FTAnalyser and there is much more than when I looked before. Very interesting.

5. MelG

MelG LostCousins Member

Hi, I upgraded from FTM 2012 to 2014 and couldn't see much improvement. If anything it's worse. You have to convert your 2012 files to the new version, not difficult just a pain to do and my 2014 version on my desktop PC & laptop, both running Windows 7 at the moment, very often crash at startup. It also crashes when you try and open another family file using the "Open In A New Window" option. The chart drawing doesn't seem any different from the 2012 version so I normally fall back to the 2005 version for charts as it's just as good. Unless you are desperate to update I would save your money and stick with the 2012 version.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I found 2012 used to crash a lot, but 2014 is much more stable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi Tim, thanks mine has occasionally crashed. I click on something and expect one thing to happen, then it's gone!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks for the comments. I have decided not to update. I have at last found the data errors report !

9. MelG

MelG LostCousins Member

I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (with fingers crossed) and all the previously installed programs work ok. FTM 2014 doesn't crash now, even when opening a second file in a new window, so must have been something iffy with the Windows 7 installation. As it's been working well for a few days I think I'll uncross my fingers.

10. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Good idea MelG, get the circulation going again:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1