1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM Unattached Families

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Just back from holiday and can't recall exactly what the issue was. Was it the zero member families that were unattached? It will be in my notes as a to do but I'm at work at present, and once read a forum message disappears off my what's new so I lose track of questions unless I ask for clarification :)

2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

It was about families shown in FTA that have no members. That's because all the family members have been deleted from the database in Ftm2012 but the sources referencing marriage facts etc. are not deleted with them.

Let's not hijack this thread though.

3. Alexander Bisset

Posts moved to non-hijacked thread. :)

I added code to strip out families with zero members. This doesn't remove them from FTM of course but it now doesn't report the erroneous data which you can do nothing about. I logged this as a bug with FTM as it still exists in FTM 2014 beta 3. The reply was less than helpful but hopefully something has been done in the time I've been off I've not checked that forum since my holiday.

4. Norman

I reported the problem on the FTM forums too. No solutions forthcoming on how to delete the "unattached" sources in bulk. It appears you can't use Ctrl-click or Shift-click to select multiple lines. The unattached sources have to be deleted individually. With over 2500 to do (at about 5 seconds each) it's a painfully slow process.

BTW it seems that FTM2014 is out of beta testing now and is already available as a download in the USA.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Norman,

Can you select people and export them only to a new gedcom file? Thereby leaving all the old tut behind?

I also reported the issue about empty families to Ancestry :)

6. Alexander Bisset

Yes I have a similar issue with about 500 sources, I do a few every now and then painful.

Hence I was able to mention it and not fall foul of the Non Disclosure Agreement. ;)

7. Norman

The affected people are not in the database now but when I export a GEDCOM it includes all sources. I could, of course, tell FTM2012 not to include sources but that wouldn't be very helpful. RootsMagic has an option to "clean" the database and that removes all the unattached sources but I don't want to create a GEDCOM from RootsMagic because I want to keep the link between FTM2012 and Ancestry. If I did that I would have to upload a new tree from FTM2012 to Ancestry and then I would lose access to all the images of BMDs and censuses.

8. Tim

If you select one person to export, you're saying it will include every source in your tree?

9. Norman

No but it certainly does when I select everyone.

10. Tim

Are you doing this from the on-line version or the pc based version?

11. Norman

FTM2012. I deleted a load of people some weeks ago as I only wanted direct ancestors and their spouses in the tree. I didn't need, or want, spouses ancestry as well. I used FTM 2012 to delete the people and allowed the on-line tree on Ancestry to synchronise. ALL the sources associated with the deleted people are still in the database and get put into the GEDCOM when I export one.

Alexander has now been able to filter out unattached sources from FTA so that I don't see families with no people in. I need to delete the sources from FTM2012 but can only do so one at a time and there are about 2500 of them. :(