1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2014 at discount

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Kate, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Today i had an offer from Mac Kiev to buy FTM 2014 at discount. Would this be a good idea as I have 2012 and their automatic updates are only for 2014?I am very tempted. I use Legacy for my husbands tree and bought roots magic as I considered changing to that for my family tree. However I still prefer FTM as it is easier to input info and my media are attached to it.
    I could change file names and attach to RM but that is a big job and i think it is a bit fiddley to use.
    I have pretty well convinced myself to buy it but would be interested in others views. Thanks.

2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

They indicate that they intend to maintain the sync feature with Ancestry and to improve the program.
    There appears to be a lot of effort being applied for this not to happen.
    I already have 2014 and look forward to seeing the promised update.
    I am also a fan of FTM and am pleased that it will continue to be supported.

3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Kate. Hmm.. it's what you get used to isn't it? I've moved on to RM7 (from RM6) which I am getting the hang of and actually quite like now. I had at one time thought that I could never live without my .paf 5 which lost it's support some time ago.

I think you should keep your FTM , with all your attached media, after all it will still function. I still maintain my .paf tree as it has living members details on, so it is truly my 'personal ancestral file'.

4. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks for replies.
    I asked a couple of questions about FTM 2014 but did not go ahead and buy it. I imagine the offer has lapsed now.
    In case FTM ceases to function I have put my tree on Legacy, which was really easy. The free Legacy was the first I ever used.
    I transferred my husband's small tree to RM7 and manually attached the media, only 20 pieces.
    I will keep FTM 2012 as long as it functions. I could not bring myself to delete it but was worried that one day I would find I could not open it!
    So in the end i didn't part with any money!