1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer - What Family Tree Software does it support?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Tim, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I use GenoPro and FTM2012, and I know I can export a gedcom from GenoPro, FTM2012 pc version and Ancestry on-line that I can open in FTAnalyzer, but I want to compile a list so that members can see that their Family Tree software is supported.

So can people who have software that's not been mentioned so far, can you conduct a few tests for me please?
    • What Family Tree software do you use (and version please)?
    • Can you export a gedcom and open it in FTAnalyzer?
    • Were Census or Residence facts recorded on the Load Gedcom Tab?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

FTM2012 GEDCOMS open with no problems. FTA doesn't like the quarter dates that sometimes show as "JAN / FEB / MAR 1984". Census are added as residence facts.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Hi, I use Personal Ancestral File (5.2). I was able to export my gedcom file into FTAnalyzer and open it fine. Unfortunately, I did not change my 'old school' ways over the years and most of my info, and probably all my census date, is in my notes :( The Analyzer doesn't like the date format of '4th quarter, 1848' and presented me with a long list of 'error parsing date' entries. However, that said, I'm going to spend some time looking around the analyzer and using the reports/correcting error features for now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Historygirl

Historygirl LostCousins Member

Hi, this is my first posting on the Lost Cousins Forum! I use Roots Magic (5.0.4.1) and I was able to export my gedcom file into FT Analyzer and it opened okay. There were many date errors shown as unrecognised date format or error parsing date e.g. 1829 APPROX, MAR Q, 1843 OR 1845, FEB 1909 or MAR 1909.

On the Load Gedcom tab it states also:

Found 1 census facts in GEDCOM File.
    Found 0 residence facts in GEDCOM File

I have entered many census and residence facts but I should have entered the details using the actual fact type for census and residence details at the time of entry but instead I added all the details under notes or research log!

I did create a Fact Type for Lost Cousins as:

Name: Lost Cousins
    Abbrev: Lost Cousins
    Fact type: Personal
    Use
    Date: No
    Place: No
    Description: No
    Include
    GEDCOM: Yes
    Websites: Yes
    Group sheets: Yes
    Narrative reports: Yes
    Individual summary: Yes
    Lists: Yes
    Sentence template:

To be quite honest - I did not have any instructions on how to do this on Roots Magic when using FT Analyzer so it was all trial and error but it was accepted as a fact type in Roots Magic. However, when I added this Lost Cousins fact type to individuals on my family tree who had been entered as ancestors e.g. on 1841 census on Lost Cousins website account they did not show up as being connected in any way or entered on Lost Cousins on the FT Analyzer Census tab or Lost Cousins Census Report for 1841 or any census year so it seems that my fact type is not being correlated to my Lost Cousins ancestor entries at all. Any advice on how I can remedy this would be much appreciated as I think the FT Analyzer software is a brilliant genealogy analysis tool and just what I was looking for!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The LC report looks at who has a census then excludes those with a LC fact as already entered. The issue here is your file is only showing a single census fact. So it would appear that is where the problem is. Can you send me a sample of your GEDCOM file with individuals that you know definitely have a census entry and I'll investigate why it isn't detecting census entries. If its simple enough I'll then add a fix for the next version. I'll send you a private message on this forum with my email address as that will be the best way to send the sample GEDCOM.

6. Tim

Hi Historygirl,

Great 1st post and thank you. Everything I asked for and more :)

Would it be possible to send Alexander and myself a copy of your gedcom file via PM so that we can have a look at how Roots Magic has created the Lost Cousins reference? We then should be able to help. Looking at your list though, I think the date should be Yes, as you need to record whether you have entered a Lost Cousins fact for 1881 or 1911 etc.

Alexander is having many issues with dates and has even started a discussion here.

7. Historygirl

Hi, I have done a little experiment with my Roots Magic tree and I have added some new 1841 census fact information for a branch of my family tree (which was already entered on Lost Cousins but not on my tree as a census fact) and then exported my tree again as a GEDCOM file and opened up FTAnalyzer program again and it has shown the 6 new census facts as found so it is definitely my fault that I entered the census information within 'notes rather than as a census fact! I will have to start sorting out my tree today! Do I still need to enter the 'Lost Cousins' fact that I created next to every individual within my Roots Magic program in order for FTAnalyzer to see that I have entered the individual's census details on my Lost Cousins ancestors list?

8. Historygirl

Also, thank you for pointing out that the date should be Yes and not no for creating the Lost Cousins fact as it now shows the date properly.

9. Historygirl

I would rather not send details of my family tree as I have had a lot of problems with this in the past but I would like to help you with solving this Roots Magic problem which will also help myself and other Lost Cousins members so I would be willing to create a small mock family tree and send it to your PM so that you can look into this further if you would like?

10. Tim

That would be perfect, Thanks.

11. Historygirl

Hi Tim, could you please send me you email address via PM and I will email you the mock family tree GEDCOM.

12. Historygirl

I have just emailed Alexander also the mock family tree GEDCOM.

13. Tim

If you zip the file, you can attach it to a PM.

14. Historygirl

Tim, how do I zip the file? Do I need specific software to do this? I use Win XP.

15. Tim

When you have File Manager open, if you right click on the file, select the option "Send to" and then left click "Compressed (zipped) folder".
    This new zipped file will appear in the folder that the original was in, but you might have to refresh (function key F5) the page to see it.

16. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

History girl I can confirm that your file has the right census and Lost Cousins tags.

This will mean that entering the census facts will remove people from the "find on census" report and entering the Lost Cousins fact will remove people from the "needs to be entered on Lost Cousins". The net result is you can see on the census who you have yet to find and you can see on the Lost cousins page who you have yet to enter on Lost Cousins site.

17. Historygirl

I am really pleased to hear that the Lost Cousins fact that I created in Roots Magic works and also adding the census fact details works on FTA. I will have to get to work adding the census fact and Lost Cousins fact details to my Roots Magic tree! Thanks for this very helpful resource which I will certainly be using often.