1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer v4.1.1.0 now available

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've just uploaded v4.1.1.0 with a couple of tweaks to census references report. This allows you to mark suggested inconsistent census references to be ignored. So now you can see families where you have recorded different addresses for people in the same family, and ignore those cases where its two families on the same page.

Also fixed Isle of Wight recognition and added an At Sea category as a pseudo country so that you can record births/deaths/marriages at sea without Google complaining it can't find the address.

If you haven't used FTAnalyzer recently these are the new features and updated features added since v4.0. Quite a lot of updates as you can see so why not give it a whirl and try out the new guides to using FTAnalyzer too.

New Features
    Scottish 1930 Parish Boundary maps are now supported
    OS Open Data 50k Gazetteer can now be used to lookup placenames
    Added support for various countries regions to be recognised - initially this is UK, US, Canada, Australia
    Added an Inconsistent Census refs vs locations report
    Added 1911 census families Missing a Children Status report
    Added 1911 census families Mismatched Children Status report
    Add recognition of Ignore for Children Status
    Added support for Close GEDCOM file menu
    Added Missing Facts Filter
    Added Duplicate Facts Filter

Updates
    Colour BMD report now has adjusted tooltips for over 90s
    Locations sorting is now house number agnostic
    Add version string to database export filename
    Added Regions recognition and map historic to modern counties for UK counties
    Added regions and alternate spellings recognitions for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, UK Islands, USA, Canada, Australia
    Locations tab Treeview and other locations sub tabs now display in bold recognised regions. This should help users tidy up regions
    Recent Files menu now greyed out if no recent files
    Added Canadian Province Postal code support
    Added Support for Custom tag Military Service
    World Wars results can now be limited to just those men with known military facts
    Add Random Surname Census Search to Census Tab
    Census refs visible on source facts report
    OS Geocoding sets found location and type based on what was found
    OS Geocoding also now uses Fuzzy search and identifies matches with OS Fuzzy search. This allows matches where the names are not exact.Added random surname select to Colour Census
    OS fuzzy search now works on missing parish names
    OS fuzzy search checks to see if within suitable distance of previously found Google partial/level mismatch
    People form now allows shift double click to see family colour census report
    Children Status picked up from NOTE tag as well as EVEN tag
    Missing Facts report is now limited to a single report fact per person and double clicking an individual gives individuals facts
    Add Children status family name column for easier sorting
    Add check for children status total = alive + dead
    Loose births makes sure the individual would be of marrying age
    Loose births checks persons birth is before parents die

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Alexander - I note you have "Loose births checks persons birth is before parents die".
    Just to point out, I have several posthumous births in my tree. Also a baby's birth can legally be registered after the death of its mother. I don't have an example of this exactly, but my mother KNEW her cousin was born almost exactly (i.e.within days) the same time as her uncle died, but the father's death was registered 4Q of one year, the baby's birth 1Q of the next. We guess that in all the turmoil, registering the birth was nobody's top priority. Presumably the same thing could happen if a woman died in childbirth

3. Alexander Bisset

The registration period if its a quarter will be a range thus the calculation SHOULD take account of the range. So a birth Q1 is taken to be a 4 month range Dec-Mar. A father's death is ok if child is born within 9 months +/- the birth range. A mother death/child death should be within 1 quarter etc. If its not quite working that way let me know and I'll investigate but it seems ok so far.

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I should have known you'd taken it into account!

5. magsH

magsH New Member

Alexander, I tried your analyser when you first launched it and thought it amazing, now I have a little time to tidy up and thought I would used it again. You have made leaps and bounds adding new and very useful headings etc. Big thumbs up and thank you. Would heartily recommend it anyone and everyone to use it. :):):)- Mags

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. magsH

magsH New Member

Alexander, I am using the FTA now for finding those people I have marked as being on lost cousins and they are showing up as green so at least I have done something right. Miniscule amount to those showing yellow though. The Lost Cousins Present (Orange) column however is grey and blank. What should this represent please? - Mags

7. Alexander Bisset

The orange is used to indicate where you have entered a lost cousins fact but you are missing a census fact ie:the orange is a warning that something's not quite right. If you have no orange ones that's a good thing.

Hovering over any colour in the colour reports should pop up a tooltip to tell you what it means.

PS. Many thanks for the kind words.

8. magsH

magsH New Member

Your welcome and good about the orange-Mags:cool:

9. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Alexander - am I missing something in the Gedcom spec about the IDs for individuals and families? I've used IDs like "a1" and you fill it with zeroes to become a0001; JM1 becomes J00M1. And family FE1s2 gets changed to F00E1.

10. Alexander Bisset

The zero padding is for sorting regularity so that a1 doesn't sort next to a10 and a100.

eg: without zero padding sorting would give
    a1, a10, a100, a11, a12, a13, a14, a15, a16, a17, a18, a19, a2, a20, ...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  11. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

If my rubbish numbering system result in poor sorting, well that's the price I have to pay (that's why I later changed and went for 4 digit IDs, some of which have 2 alphas as well, but that's another story).

But you seem have decided to change the IDs supplied to you, and to truncate them too? I'm not sure that's a good thing. That means you are then merging my families who have longer IDs than your limit. So now I can't use FTA for my ONS as I get too many errors which your changes have created :(

You could have some more options on the programme - add zeroes for pretty sorting could be one. Another, which annoys me when I'm close to my bandwidth limit or trying to demo to someone how good FTA can be, is insisting on updating before the programme starts - Notepad++ f'rinstance always asks you if you want to update to the latest version, and you can refuse if you want to get on with your current edit.

HTH

12. Alexander Bisset

The zero padding fixes innumerable issues with poor GEDCOM IDs the a large number of programs out there don't actually tell you what the ID is or allow you to set it so for most users they have no control over IDs so the zero padding means that the IDs can be sorted. Without the zero padding these users would have numerous unsortable reports.

Unfortunately the auto updating is entirely down to how the Microsoft Click Once works, so sadly I have absolutely no control over that. The way Notepad++ and others work is that they have their own custom updating code which is possible because the software is hosted on the companies website. FTAnalyzer is hosted on Microsoft's free Codeplex site so I have to use what they make available or pay for a hosting site. As you might imagine for an entirely free voluntary program I'm not keen to pay for site hosting to add those sorts of features. If I hosted on a free site the issue is that I'd lose all the integration features of Codeplex. So when someone raises an issue on the site it shows inside Visual Studio the program I use to write FTAnalyzer so I can tag the issue against particular bits of code and mark things as fixed. On a different freeware site I'd lose that. Plus I'd have to write and maintain my own updating code which would include having to add in all the security features Microsoft's Click Once provides free of charge.

So sorry whilst I understand why it can be frustrating it isn't something I plan on changing.

13. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I just leave mine running, and only close it once a week to check if there have been any updates :)

14. Alexander Bisset

Sadly there are not likely to be any updates this side of Easter 2015. I'm in an extremely busy period at work and just don't have the energy to be bothered to do anything on a PC when I get home from work.

15. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Personally, and I think I speak for many other users as well, we all appreciate how many hours you've already put in for free to develop an extremely useful and friendly tool that enables us to correct our family tree data, identifies missing data and allows us to view where our ancestors lived and moved around the world.

Thank you Alexander clapping.gif

• Agree Agree x 11