1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Version 3.7.2.0 is now out that should fix the database issue as well as understanding the fact types above.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

v3.7.2.0 seems to have corrected count discrepancies. Thank you.

3. Bryman

I have just used the LC Referral process to setup nearly 100 census references for a potential new member who is a 7th cousin of my father. I used the Referrals report from FTA as a guide when making the selections but found that the FTA report is still not in the same sequence as the LC report. This added a LOT of extra time to the process while I had to scroll backwards and forwards to find the appropriate entry.

Similarly, FTA shows the age of each individual while LC displays the YoB. Also, the maiden name is shown for wives rather than the 'new' family name as given in the census. Both conditions add to the effort required to determine the needed references accurately.

Did these enhancements get forgotten or am I mistaken that they were ever intended to be implemented?

4. Alexander Bisset

The sequencing is difficult, an attempt was made to do a nearest matching but the information isn't always present in the GEDCOM to sort in the same order. An example of an out of order search would be handy.

I can change age to YoB for this report, similarly using name at date for married women isn't a problem. I'm not sure if they were raised before if they were then they did indeed get forgotten. Most likely they were part of an email exchange or were posted on the forum rather than being front and centre on the issues list.

I'm happy to find suggestions and issues here however to ensure I don't forget posting them to the issues list is best. The reason is that when I am coding the issues list is visible within the program so is harder to ignore than the forum. ;)

5. Bryman

Regarding sequencing of the Referral report, isn't it just ascending reference within census (in 1881, 1841, 1911 order)?
    I tried to upload my csv file from FTA but apparently that is not an allowed file type! I will send it to you separately.

As for not adding YoB and Married Name to the list of issues, I must plead guilty. Do you want me to do that now or am I too late?

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Plead now, sentencing later?

7. Bryman

In the Colour Census Report, an Orange tile indicates "Lost Cousins flagged but no census entered". This does not permit a double click to search for the census entry. Why not?

8. Bryman

It would also be useful to be able to double click on green tiles even though that indicates that census/LC details have been entered already.
    The double click is a VERY quick and convenient way of accessing the appropriate census record to check/obtain further details.

9. Bryman

Some of my ancestors emigrated from Germany to England. They appear in the Gedcom file and are listed as individuals within FTA.
    However, not all of them appear on the UK Colour Census Report. One of the missing family members was the root person's grandfather. His English spouse did appear but initially I did not know the grandmother's maiden name nor details about the marriage.

When I did determine that extra information and passed it through to FTA, the grandfather suddenly appeared in the Colour Report.

Are such foreigners deliberately omitted from the Colour Reports unless a local connection is established?

Might it be more useful if foreigners were to be included in the Colour Reports but with a tile colour of Dark Grey to indicate probable absence from UK on census night, unless there is any further reason to expect otherwise? By allowing a double click on such tiles, it would then make checking for a census entry much easier.

10. Alexander Bisset

Sorry for delay I've not been on forum much lately as I'm now in exceptionally busy period at work. I can't quite recall how that was coded but I have a vague recollection that a double click did something else. If so it might be I put in a shift double click to replicate the behaviour or an option. I can't recall and I'm on iPad just now with no access to code. Sorry.

11. Alexander Bisset

That sounds like sound reasoning.

One issue though is that handling of countries is a right royal pain as it relies on the user being consistent in how they record countries. Unfortunately that is not something I can count on. Actually a lot of users don't even bother putting the country name in at all. So I need to cater for countries, missing countries, etc and it all gets a bit messy so is prone to issues like this arising.

Could you raise this as an issue in the ticket system on the website so I can investigate once I get back into being able to look at the app and the issue doesn't get lost as a forum post. One slight problem about putting out an update just now is that the certificate expired and in order to release a new version users may have to uninstall and reinstall as it will be a new certificate to authenticate the code. This would mean I'd need to be available to fix any problems I cause with the update process. Just now with the volume of work I've got on I'm just not available so I'm reluctant to rock the boat and potentially disrupt a stable version with a new release.

12. Alexander Bisset

Fairly sure that is possible somehow as I use that myself a LOT. When you hover over it what does the tooltip say or what does the status bar text say? It might be shift click or shift double click.

13. Bryman

Perhaps there could be an implied hierachy of default countries when none are defined? I went through and added a country to each of my records where none was specified at the time that you added the map display feature to FTA. I can understand that some members omit the country if all of their records refer to just England or Scotland. However, records specifying just London can resonably be assumed to refer to England rather than Canada unless that country is included.

I will raise this as an issue for future consideration. I posted it here in the forum hoping that I might get support or an alternative explanation. I was not looking for an immediate amendment to FTA which might cause destablisation. This is just feedback for future consideration. (He who pays the piper, calls the tune.)

Thanks for finding time to give an interim explanation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexander Bisset

There is a file that tries to interpret an address by matching county/region/city names vs a default list. Hence you will sometimes see areas recognised that aren't entered with a country name. Eg: if a user puts Taunton, Devon the program recognises that as Taunton, Devon, England. So there is some attempt to tidy up locations.

15. Just found this post - I've been out of the loop for a bit - and have tried the analyzer which has thrown up some errors I wasn't aware of and which I will now (hopefully) have time to sort out! One question though - it did highlight several people as not being entered into my Lost Cousins page, but in fact some of them were already entered. I can't quite work out the mismatch as I have always been careful to enter data as found on the census... can anyone shed any light on this please?

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

FTAnalyzer looks at your gedcom and can determine who has a census for example, for 1881. There is no link between Lost Cousins and FTA, and so what you need to do is to create a Custom Fact for each person in your Family History Program, that identifies it as having been added to Lost Cousins. Adding this Custom Fact lets FTA know not to display this person as you have already added it to Lost Cousins.

There are some help guides here which are very good.

For help on creating Custom Facts, go here and choose which Family Tree software you use under the section Using FTAnalyzer with popular Family History Programs

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Devonian

Devonian LostCousins Member

I downloaded FTA yesterday and loaded a Gedcom file from Rootsmagic All was working well until I went to the Duplicates tab, when my PC froze and I had to power off to close down. This happened on 2 occasions. Am I doing something wrong?
    I note that the programme doesn't like 'Abt' dates or the format 1751(2). I couldn't find an answer to those issues on this forum. Have I missed them?

18. Tim

I believe FTA handles abt fine. And the year format should be 1751/2

On the gedcom tab, can you copy and paste here the load results?

19. Devonian

Devonian LostCousins Member

The problem with 'abt' is that a number of entries are queried as, for instance, the individual not being old enough to be married - even though the abt date and mge date make sense.
    Sorry to be dense, but I can't see how to copy the Gedcom load results to you. When I highlight them in FTA and then right click there's no 'copy'. Perhaps because I'm in Oz???????

20. Tim

The shortcut keys work, so CTRL + C for copy, and CTRL + V for paste.