1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer latest version will not install

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by At home in NZ, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Thank you Phil and ashamed I did not work that out for myself. Must be slipping in my old age. Yes that did the trick and now things back to normal.

2. WOOHOO, it's turned over to 7.7.0.0 now.
    Thank goodness and thanks to all for 'listening'.

3. They still are!
    I created a GED from Ancestry and found the Male wifes and Female husbands error listed 4 times. There is one On 1939 register and not precise birth date error
    I have checked the census return, it does not have a precise date.

I created a GED from FTM for the same tree, it is in sync. I have 4 residence census date warnings and no other erors.

In the Lost Cousins tab for the Ancestry tree, it has:
    Totals: 30 Lost Cousin Records, 413 Missing Lost Cousins Record

In the Lost Cousins tab for the FTM tree, the Total is 0

Questions:
    1. Why am I getting the male/female errors?
    2. Why is there such a vast difference between 2 GEDs run from the same tree?
    3. I am using 2 instances of FTA, one for each GED, is the program one of those that you can't/shouldn't do that?

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Keep checking. I have been running v7.7.1.0 from an automatic update a couple of days ago.

I am sure that Alexander will give the definitive answer but I would expect multiple instances to run independently without interference.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi NZ,

I tried to answer your questions in the other post.

I also tried loading my gedcom from Ancestry into FTA, I had to give up. There were so many errors that Ancestry has in it's raw gedcom that I had to give up. I just say that it's a good thing that FTM has worked out how to import and correct all the errors when it does the syncing!!

Alexander also answered some of your questions there as well. The difference was that Ancestry has the &nbsp field which FTM removed on loading and it doesn't insert it into it's gedcom. However, Alexander did say he had fixed that in 7.7.0 so maybe this is something different?

And yes, you can run 2 or more FTA's without any issues.

6. That's of no real help.
    Why am I getting the male/female errors? They are not incorrect in my tree.
    Why is the GED from Ancestry so vastly different from the GED in FTM??????????

Just checked, have still got 7.7.0.0

It HAS been fixed, my issues are nothing to do with census references.

These problems I am having are totally putting me off from using FTA.

7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have not been following parts of this discussion in detail because much of it is of no particular relevance to me. However, I suggest that there is no reason to stop using FTA as any problems that you are experiencing will not have been introduced by FTA and there is much benefit to be obtained from use of FTA in other areas. The most likely source of your problems are . . .

1. FTM
    2. Ancestry
    3. the data entered to the above two programs.

1. I do not use FTM so cannot offer any suggestions. I don't even understand some of what you and others have posted previously.

2. I only keep a direct-ancestors-only tree at Ancestry in order to assist with matches to DNA cousins. However, when I look at other trees having received hints concerning possible ancestors, I often find that the associated trees are a complete mess with many individuals duplicated and varying data associated. I don't know whether that is due to mistaken input of data or a mess-up within the program. I do not notify the tree owner as I assume that they will see the mess and try to do something about it themselves. I prefer not to put myself forward as the messenger to be used for target practice.

3. I do not wish to make any suggestion that you may have caused any problem by entering incorrect and conflicting data but if I was in your position then I would make multiple checks of my data entered (not just the values), assuming that I had confused the program with my input, just to make sure that I had not overlooked something. If the error(s) persist then I would change/remove data in an effort to get rid of the error(s) and then re-insert the information one item at a time, checking the effect at each stage. It may be a very slow process but it should identify whether I had caused the misunderstanding or the program is not handling the data correctly. If the program is at fault then DO contact the developer or provider with a suitable description of what happens in the simplest possible terms so that the occurrence can be easily reproduced by them.

If you need further assistance from forum members then it may be helpful to create a simple situation with only a few individuals in the tree, which others can then try out for themselves.

I hope this helps. Good luck for a speedy resolution.

8. Messy trees are caused by the tree owner because they do not research details offered as Hints that are other trees. It's really easy to add a whole heap of people simply by attaching the tree in the Hint.
    I had a second uncle with an extremely common Irish name, born in Ireland and went to England with his parents. He never left England, he ran away with a married woman whose husband had committed bigamy. They had 4 sons. I have seen trees that have him going back and forth to USA from England, serving in the forces (he did not), marrying a number of women and having about 20 children.
    That's not addressing my problems but may help you to understand how people (mis) use Ancestry.

It is Alexander Bisset and he has already helped me with the census issue. He corrected it for everybody, not just me.
    He is also a forum member.

9. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

To try and get additional information, can you import the downloaded Ancestry tree GEDCOM into FTM and see what errors FTM lists, then save that as a GEDCOM and use FTA to analyse it.

Also, using a text editor can you extract the data for the male/female "error" people (change names if you wish) from the Ancestry GEDCOM and the FTM GEDCOM analysed by FTA . They will contain something like (FTM GEDCOM will have @I instead of @P):

0 @P1@ INDI
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE Bef. 21 May 1809
    2 PLAC North Curry, Somerset, England
    1 DEAT
    2 DATE Bef. 1861
    1 SEX F
    1 NAME Harriett /Allen/
    1 FAMC @F2@
    1 FAMS @F1@

and be followed by a new record starting with a "zero" line. Also look for the the FAMS data, which will start with a "zero" line

0 @F1@ FAM
    1 HUSB @P2@
    1 WIFE @P1@

The important bits are "1 SEX F" and "1 WIFE @P1@" (or "M" with "HUSB") .

Finally, do you ever use the "merge" facility in FTM - this can cause all sorts of problems.

Phil

10. Phil, thanks for all that, I'll give it a go tomorrow when I've got clear head. (It's late evening here)
    I do not ever use the merge in FTM, in fact I rarely do any work in it because my trees are in Ancestry so I work in there then sync to FTM.

11. Bob Spiers

I'm never sure whether to commiserate or challenge the statement that some people misuse Ancestry. Of course some people propagate mis-information -whether by viewing other Trees or responding to Hints - that is a given. But, just as surely, some people gain an awful lot of information from, viewing other Trees (and responding to Hints) that would otherwise take them hours of research to discover. As long as they pay their subscriptions they are entitled to be just name collectors or dedicated researchers -and all shades between.

I have done my share of challenging the 'sillies' I find in other Trees with very little positive returns. Ignorance is bliss it would seem, and they are best left to their own devices as we are to ours. As long as I can tell the difference between wheat and chaff, that is all that matters.

12. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

As Phil is also pointing out, one of the facts you have added is wrong. In mine it was the marriage fact. When I added the fact in Ancestry, I failed to notice that the focus of the fact was pointing to the spouse.
    For the people in question, you need to review the facts for each person and check that the sex is correct, if it's incorrect then delete the fact.

I find this a bit of an odd statement to be honest. FTA has read your gedcom and has identified some errors and raised warnings.
    But if you can't locate the bad fact, then just ignore it. Carry on using the rest of the program.

13. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Are you using FTM and if so, have you checked for dummy spouses?

14. Bob Spiers

You are not alone in failing to spot the focus pointing to the wrong spouse, this has happened to me every now and again, leading to misleading male/female queries. Just a momentary lack of concentration is enough, and having to back pedal and correct things teaches a salutary lesson to be more careful...until the next time of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

As a follow-up to the male/female errors referenced by "At home in NZ", a quick check suggests that this can be cured in FTM by changing the "SEX" for each partner and, if necessary, changing it back.

Phil

16. Just to clarify:
    Those male/female errors are only in Ancestry.

Please all join me in a big shout out to Phil who has been of enormous assistance with this issue via PM. :D:D

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. jorghes

Have you checked their "relationships" section? I had a strange fault once on Ancestry because for some reason all the relationships between a parent and child had been changed to "unknown".

18. Thanks for that thought jorghes, I've just looked at all 4 people and they are correctly designated as 'spouse'.

19. jorghes

It was an idea!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

You shouldn't need to install and uninstall at all they will just update in due course. Microsoft have 241 yes two HUNDRED and FORTY-ONE different Microsoft Stores to cater for different language combinations in different countries.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1