1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer and GenoPro

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Bryman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes, if you look earlier in that thread, you will see once you have created a census/source, you can select the people on the census and then apply it to all of them.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

How should this situation be handled? I don't know if this is my wrong specification or a misinterpretation within FTA.

While married, a man gets a woman (other than his wife) to have his baby.
    I have recorded the relationship without any marriage fact and the GEDCOM report file contains . . .

0 @fam00022@ FAM
    1 HUSB @ind00045@
    1 WIFE @ind00053@
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Casual relationship or dating (short-term)

FTA then treats this as a marriage although it is not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Looks like there is at least an error in the gedcom that labels them as husband and wife.

And FTA has a marriage and a date for these people?

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Can you explain how FTA "treats this as a marriage". What exactly is displayed that says it's a marriage? I suspect I've not done enough to deal with family facts where there is no marriage. However more information on what you are seeing and what you'd expect would help narrow down where the problem is.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Sorry, I was trying to be concise and economical (and lazy?).
    The GEDCOM output for both relationships with the husband is:
    Code:
    0 @fam00020@ FAM
    1 HUSB @ind00045@
    1 WIFE @ind00046@
    1 CHIL @ind00047@
    1 CHIL @ind00048@
    1 CHIL @ind00049@
    1 CHIL @ind00050@
    1 CHIL @ind00051@
    1 CHIL @ind00027@
    1 MARR
    2 DATE 15 OCT 1839
    2 TYPE Religious Marriage
    2 PLAC St Botolph without Aldgate, London, England
    2 NOTE 1839 - Marriage Reg: Qtr 4 Vol 2 Page 183

0 @fam00022@ FAM
    1 HUSB @ind00045@
    1 WIFE @ind00053@
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Casual relationship or dating (short-term)

I suspect that GenoPro lists HUSB and WIFE for all relationships although quite what it will do in future with same sex marriages is anybody's guess. There is no mention of marriage nor date for the casual relationship.
    Does the GEDCOM specification allow other identifiers such as PARTner, MISTress or LOVEr, etc? If not, then GenoPro has no other option.

FTA shows ind00053 as Wife under Families tab but without marriage date.

FTA shows both husband and mistress as blue for Marriage No 1 in BMD report (sorts first because no date?).
    FTA shows husband as green for Marriage No 2 in BMD report.
    FTA shows wife as green for Marriage No 1 in BMD report.

FTA shows both husband and wife as Direct Ancestor under Relation in Census report.
    FTA shows mistress as Marr to Direct/Blood under Relation in Census report.

Perhaps FTA could introduce a description of PARTner or UNMArried on reports where marriage does not exist?
    Such unmarried relationships are becoming increasingly popular, at least in NZ where the law seems to confer most marital rights to partners after just two years of co-habitation.

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm yes I can see that most of this is from the headings used on the forms. Internally its just storing the IDs of the people in the family. It simply displays a heading of Husband and Wife as convenient rather than trying to be meaningful. The absence of a marriage fact is a perfectly valid thing to query and show as red as it could simply have been you forgot to enter the marriage details.

What I need to consider though is what constitutes a KNOWN non-marriage. ie: something that's universal across GEDCOM - I wonder if there is something in the standard. I'll need to re-read it.

Then what I can do is if there is a means of identifying a known non-marriage, eg: you are aware they never married and only created a child together for instance. Then I could mark that as GREEN as you'd entered something to signify that you KNOW there is no marriage thus the program shouldn't be suggesting you need to find one.

A bit of investigation required I think. If there is a standard I'd rather use that than adopt something that won't work for other programs. I know in FTM 2014 that there is a "partners" fact you can put against a family but I'm not at all sure if that isn't just some custom tag. What we really need is a standard.