1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FreeBMD Postem

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Margery, May 11, 2016.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I have discovered that a Postem has been added to a FreeBMD entry for my father's brother's family. Is there any way that I can make contact with the person who made the entry?

2. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I suspect that the answer is, only if the Postem includes a contact email address. As the Postem FAQ says, There is no point in leaving a request for information unless you also leave a contact email address. There might be a slight chance that it's a correction by someone unconnected, but if it's additional info it's tempting to think that it's someone also researching that person.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Looking at the BMD postem help page it looks like you can only contact them if they leave their email address.

4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Sorry for repeating Tony's post, but it was not visible when I replied.

5. Margery

Many thanks to Tony and Katie Bee for their replies. Yes, it seems that someone else is researching this family branch which is surprising in a family whose members seem singularly disinterested in family history. I can understand the risks involved in disclosing ones' email address. What a pity that this so.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If they have left pertinent information on FreeBMD, then it's likely that they will have a family tree online somewhere. It maybe private, but that doesn't stop you searching for them and finding them. Review the private trees on Ancestry.

7. Margery

Thanks Tim, I believe that I may have found a family tree that applies to the correct family. Will have to wait for another free Ancestry offer.

8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

That's good news!