1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Free 14 Day Access to The Genealogist

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Tim, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I've received an email saying that you can have a 14 day free access to the records at the Genealogist.

Here's a link to the page.

Here's their home page.

It does look like you have to add card details and then cancel otherwise you will pay for 6 months or a years subscription.

Buyer beware!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I started looking at this - it asks for street address in addition to the usual email etc, then asks you what subscription you want to default to you, so I suppose it will ask for card details (but I chickened out before it got there). If anyone else goes further and finds you don't have to tell them your card please let us all know

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The key records at The Genealogist are PCC wills (which you'd normally have to pay to see at the TNA site) and Non-Conformist registers (there are transcriptions of these at FamilySearch, but no images). Before signing up for a free trial you might want to check whether these records are included.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It looks to me as though you can choose which subscription package you want to trial - and which one you will pay for if you forget (or choose not) to cancel at the end of the 14 days.

There is a comparison page for checking what is included in each package, and it appears the PCC wills and non-conformist records are included in both the Gold and Diamond subscriptions.

Pauline

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Today I got an email from Genealogist, which had noticed I'd registered, offering me 14 days (credit card details required) or a 25 credit fee trial. Worth noting for those who, like me, are loth to put out card details too freely.

6. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I didnt realise I had alreadyregistered at The Genealogist when I checked the site out just now. It's amazing how you tend to stick to favourite sites after you have been researching for a few years. I am tempted to register for the Premium free trial to see what it's like. I did the same for Ancestry.co.uk and then decided to take out a subscription when I found it gave me information that was useful. As I tend to have to do much of my research on line I am always looking for sites that can provide me with different access to archives.

Actually I have just looked at the questions and answers area to see how to cancel the free trial/subscription and I wont be taking it out. You only get ten credits, which I suppose I understand as their reasoning is that they have to limit what you get for free. I know I would get frustrated if I found records I needed to check out with credits and I didnt have enough. You can't buy more credits on the free trial either and have to upgrade.

7. Mike

Mike Member

They seem to run a variety of trials. The one Tim originally referred to does seem to be unlimited 14 day access, not credit based.
    I have a current subscription and I think I also qualify for the trial so I think I'll try it out as I can select the top of the range package and so get more records for 14 days. I'm a bit worried as somewhere I read you need to give 14 days notice to cancel a subscription. Hopefully this doesn't apply to a trial otherwise you would have to take it out and cancel on the same day!

8. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I can definitely say that both of these are included. I have searched both and been able to see and save the original images.

The conditions state that the credit card will be debited on the 14th day. You can cancel the trial online so it is easy to do - just don't forget to do it (unless of course you want the subscription to continue) - perhaps on the 13th day to be safe.