1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Forget the census.....

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Carla, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Someone else may have posted about this elsewhere so i apologise if so....

I know Peter has talked about this already but i thought the Daily Mail article entitled 'Forget the census, they could just Google us all' was very interesting. Some of the comments are rather weird though.

I dont know what to say, really, except what has already been said. Personally and from a family history point of view i find censuses a great source of interest, even if it is simply to see the handwriting of an ancestor in the 1911 one!

2. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

I know from my One Name Study that there are more than a dozen persons of my name born in the 1960s as well as a smaller number, like me, from the 1950s. Given the difficulty banks have with people of the same name, and given the Governments' incompetence with IT, I do hope the Mail is wrong (again?!).

It seems a shame to me to ditch censuses completely - there must be other ways to reduce costs - eg. is it necessary to have it in 14 different languages, and so long? But with all these co-habitations, multiple fathers and same-sex marriages, what genealogy will be like in 100 years time, goodness knows! Sounds a good thread subject...

As Carla says, the 1911 has been fascinating for the handwriting and the mortality data.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

See my next newsletter.....

4. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

Also for the 'room count' - it is interesting to see how many rooms our ancestors lived in

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I personally find the census records so interesting, in fact, essential to any genealogist interested in the social history and family movement and interactivity.
    It's not just about names and numbers for us (although that is what the census is all about:oops:)

• Agree Agree x 2