1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

First World War

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Gillian, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

A very good forum for those of you interested in WWI is the Great War Forum. The 'regulars' are extremely helpful and generous with information. It was actually my introduction to using a forum and has helped with negotiating Lost Cousins.

2. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

I agree, Gillian. Although I've only 'lurked' at the Great War Forum, there is a massive amount of information there - and help.

Another site I've been using lately is The Long Long Trail. It has some excellent information about regiments, battles, etc. during WWI.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I used The Long Long Trail, too, and found it an excellent source of information. The Great War Forum was a great source of help with my project (tracing my dad's movements in the First World War). I inherited the letters he wrote home to his mother from the front. Censorship prevented him from telling her where he was exactly, so he devised a code (incredibly simple) representing the area where he was. It didn't take them long on the Great War Forum to work out what he meant. Amazing then that his letters got through the censor all those years ago. My avatar is his mother.