1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Finnish WW2 photos

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Carla, May 4, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Was not quite sure where to post this...under Europe or Military?

I get quite a few emails about various ancestral sites i use...or have used...and today i received information about WW2 photos from the Finnish Defence Forces . The photos were taken during WW2, and are interesting because of the Finnish war history during those years, involving Russia and Germany.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you, Carla. I'm married to a Finn and have been living in Finland for just over half a century. There are a lot of misconceptions around about the country's role in the Second World War. It was a bit like being caught between a rock and a hard place, the Soviet Union and Germany. I think Finland came out of the shattering experience with honour. I see that some of the photos in the collection are from Mikkeli, the small town that housed the army headquarters during the war(s). Right at this moment, I'm sitting in an idyllic lakeside spot at our summer hide-away only 70 km from Mikkeli.

3. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

How wonderful Gillian. Sounds totally beautiful :) I am glad you found the pictures interesting. I found the whole lot fascinating and an education about things i knew nothing about. It certainly gave me a history lesson...and my husband and son too!

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Here's a picture I took a couple of weeks ago. The ice has completely gone now but there still aren't any leaves on the trees. However, it's been raining today so we shouldn't have to wait long. Spring's late this year. This is our hide-away; our permanent home is in Espoo, near Helsinki, on the south coast.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Oh wow...how absolutely stunning! I am slightly green with envy right now :D

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Well, it is beautiful now - in fact it's beautiful always, but on the downside we have hoards of mosquitoes in the summer! Now I'm going to reply to your posting on Lonely2.