1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast World access is free this weekend

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Tim, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

From midday, Friday November 7th to midday on Monday, November 10th (GMT), you’ll be able to access:
    • Birth, death and marriage records from the USA, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand
    • Travel and migration records from all over the world
    • Millions of newspaper pages from countries that include Germany, France, China, Denmark, Ireland and the USA
    • Military records from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland, as well as our WW1 collections to ensure that everyone has the chance to trace their family this Remembrance weekend
    There is no need to do anything to your account, just sign in as normal over the weekend and you’ll be able to explore our record sets from around the world.
    In addition, you can tune in to our free Remembrance Weekend Live Broadcast at 3pm on Saturday, November 8th (GMT), where some of our family history experts will be giving you advice to help you make the most of your research.
    To find out more about the Free Weekend and our Live Broadcast, visit findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend today.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

There goes my weekend plans;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Just had an email, another free World records weekend at FMP midday this Friday 6th March 2015 until Monday 9th midday GMT :)

4. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

Yes, what great news.

5. Mike

Mike Member

and for those of us who already have a World subscription...

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There will be a link to Findmypast in my newsletter which you'll receive on Friday morning - I'd appreciate it if you could use it.

7. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Mike

8. Mike

Mike Member

If you have the time this free weekend I have found their recently released British Civil Service Evidence of Age records really useful.

Lots of copies of baptism records used to prove age.

9. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

It is great that they have these free weekends but the problem is that everything ends up going very slow so if you are a regular subscriber and do not gain anything new I suggest that you take a weekend off to reduce the frustration.

10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

That is probably a very sensible suggestion. I tried to do a little tidying up of my data and suspect that I have been caught by a few tweaks introduced by FMP for this weekend.

Firstly, I have been unable to view any 1911 UK census images. When I reported this to FMP they suggested that I clear my cache. That, of course, had no effect. I could view the transcriptions but requests to see the images resulted in a black screen with rotating circular arrow in the middle . . . forever. After several failures, I tried clicking on the Download 'button' at the bottom even though the census image was not yet displayed. From that I was able to save the image to my computer and view it separately. I was just not able to see it from within FMP.

Secondly, I tried to look up specific 1911 census details by entering just the Piece/SN search values. Nothing seemed to be happening. However, the Piece/SN information is entered at the bottom of the page which appears on the second screen display. What was not apparent was that there was an error message displayed at the front of the fields on the first half of the page (and hence out of sight). When I scrolled back up to "return to results" I saw the message which said that the surname field was mandatory, just for this free weekend!!!

I checked Peter's beta facility from My Ancestors page and that worked fine so presumably Peter always specifies the surname.

I hope that this information may help anyone with a World subscription to make better use of their time than I was able to do.

11. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

OR... you could come over to Australia for the weekend, no trouble with FMP here. :D:cool:

12. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

If only the invite had come a little earlier........:rolleyes:

13. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

If only I could.....:(