1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Find my Past (FMP) FACEBOOK Forum

Discussion in 'Findmypast' started by Bob Spiers, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Not that long ago -but long enough to have formed an opinion - I chose to join the FMP Facebook Group. I had joined the Midland Ancestor group some months previous and enjoyed the experience and thought another 'genealogical' string to my bow would not hurt. But I was wrong, FMP Moderators are in a group of their own and intervene closing down discussions when they have hardly begun. Usually with a note ..."I am closing comments on this post..." not to mention frequent reminders that people are ..."not following group rules".

The first few occasions I just ignored the (to me) petty closures and reminders about rules but as I am only an occasional Facebook user - and even more infrequent viewer of the various Groups I have joined - closures of interesting postings is annoying to say the least. I did eventually discover that it is possible to view the top two or three answers for a few days beyond the closure, but they are merely 'snapshots', and fail to satisfy how the discussion was resolved.

I have of course posted my own comment about closing discussions begun the previous day or even earlier the same day, telling them I am only an occasional viewer and would have liked to see the discussion developing, but to no avail and they do not answer anyway. It is probably against Group rules!

Someone should tell them to live up to their Moderator' title and use their powers in moderation. Perhaps they will act to bar me from the Group, but I will probably have left it long before. Shame really as they could take a leaf out of the LC Forum, where Moderators moderately Moderate.:cool:

2. Thanks for giving me a reason to continue to call it Farcebook.;);)

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I've found the same as you, Bob. I joined the FMP Facebook forum a while ago, but I only look at the posts occasionally and invariably when I do I see lots of potentially interesting discussions where the moderator has turned off commenting, often within just a few hours of the initial post. Sometimes a reason for the closure is given, but often there's no clear reason why comments are stopped so quickly. I'm afraid it's put me off using that forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I joined this forum as well, but have since left it. I thought perhaps I had just "snoozed" it for a month but when I checked saw that I have to re-join, which I will not be doing. I did not find it very useful. I also joined the Canadian Ancestry Users DNA group, but am not finding it very useful either, since my ancestors are not here anyway. Most of the groups I have joined are cross-stitch related and I do view those.

5. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I only belong to a Jewish Genealogy group on Facebook - otherwise I'm with you and the cross-stitch related groups.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

After viewing another Moderator diatribe barring someone from the Facebook FMP Group (have no opinion on whether deserved or not) I decided rather than keep getting irritated by Moderators closing closing down postings and warning of rule infringements, to leave myself. So I duly left the Group this morning. Quite a relief I must say.