1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Privacy

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Charlotte26, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

I am currently looking at the free version of Genopro as I am aware that even a "private" FTM tree is searchable via Ancestry. However, unless I have mis-read the Genopro information it appears that the tree will still be searchable via the internet unless it is password protected and that the tree can only be password protected if a Registration Key (ie the sofware) is purchased. I just want to have a family tree where I can record all my information for my own use and to pass on to my children without having to exclude living relatives etc. Is any tree software secure?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Charlotte,

Your tree will only be accessible via the internet if you upload it from your PC to the web.

For many years I used a pc software program for my tree and it was perfectly secure. I then went to GenoPro (not the free one) and again, never published my tree for a few years.

Depending what you want to do with your tree, what sort of data you want to record etc., will help you decide what software to ultimately choose.

People in a private tree can be found, but no data is displayed, other than an ancestors name and the contact name of the person who's tree it is.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Charlotte, be very careful who you pass your family tree information on to - the younger generation seem to publish information online without thinking about the implications.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

In relation to this I would suggest that nobody uses the classic 'mother's maiden name' as as a security word. Similarly when you are asked to set up a security question, go for 'favourite holiday destination' rather than 'place of birth' or 'father's middle name'. While I think it unlikely that anyone will make the effort to try to break into my bank accounts, etc. I am pretty certain that it would be trivial for someone to find out all those bits of info.
    (and if you regularly post holiday pics on the web, probably your favourite destination is not hard to find...

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. BerryW

BerryW LostCousins Member

I don't know if this is relevant, as I only use Ancestry for my tree. I have used my Gx2 paternal grandfather as the home person and made virtually everyone in the generations after that as private, their info is kept in my working spreadsheet. This has certainly reduced some of the nonsense messages I would get and those I do get are now only from the dim and distant past ancestors which have in some instances proved fruitful.