1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family History software

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by AnneC, Mar 22, 2013.

1. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

My husband's cousin has recommended Roots Magic and I have downloaded the trial program along with Legacy. He previously used FH but didn't like the more recent changes in the program so moved away, but I know for a fact he does not have an online tree and won't entertain the idea........but I will ask him if there is any interference from MH.

2. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

Hi Chrissy

I am using Rootsmagic (v7) and have done for some time. I started off with the free version and moved to the full version after about 6 months. You can download a free version of this software (it does not have all the bells and whistles of the full version), which should give you an idea of if it would be suitable for you (do a Google search of Rootsmagic Free.) It only costs about $US20 for the full version, or there are some copies if v6 on Amazon for $US 9.95 - they are new CDs.) I used Brother's Keeper for a while (only the free version, but did not like it. I had no problems importing my Brother's Keeper gedcom file to Rootsmagic. Rootsmagic allows all the features that you require - it even has a useful 'problem checker' which highlights if a person was born before their parents were married, or if the mother was older than 50 at the time of birth, for example - very useful for spotting keyboard errors (my keyboard makes a lot of errors! :rolleyes:)

Generally it comes down to what you are comfortable with using and, no doubt, many users of this forum have their own preference

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chrissy1

Thanks, David. I have downloaded Roots Magic and currently trying it out. However, I am having a few teething problems. Sometimes it starts up as a split screen and sometimes not and I can't always find the screen I want. Also, navigation has been a bit difficult, for example, in the pedigree screen I have just moved forward to my gt gt grandparents, but on trying to move back again to myself, it insisted on going to my gt grandmother's BROTHER rather than my direct ancestor, so I was unable to reverse. When I try to move around the tree, I end up having to return to the source person and start again. Most frustrating. Regarding typing errors, I have already corrected those with FTA, though it will be useful in the future.
    One big plus with this program is the app which can be put onto i-pad or mobile free of charge. Does anyone know if any other programs offer this? Ideal for reading info away from home.

Finally does anyone know if this a legitimate site, as I thought there were no free trials of FTM......so I am very wary of downloading this

Links removed. They are simply adverts that link to nothing, there is no free trial at the end of the road only as Bob suggests pitfalls.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I would not for one recommend it. It is what I call a "piggy back " site - don't know that particular one but several exist of which perhaps CNET is foremost. They will usually take you to the download sought -in this case FTM 'Free Trial" -providing you avoid the pitfalls along the way (clicking on adverts and other sundry downloads you do not want). They are rarely straight forward and be warned even if you do get to the download you want (and that is not guaranteed) expect daily 'nag' screens trying to get you to buy the full product. Perhaps others may advise differently.

6. NicolaP

NicolaP LostCousins Member

As an apparent IT Expert, perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how MH will still get data from within someone's Family Historian or Roots Magic software (as they have the same linkup and same facility to disable the link as FH) when someone has it disabled?

I'm sorry Bob but unless you can provide concrete evidence that this is happening in spite of the feature being disabled by people, I really think you need to stop defaming Family Historian (as any such feature would have to be programmed by them into the software to overide the disabling feature) with comments that have no substance just because you have, by your own admission, been duped in the past to uploading your data to My Heritage. Neither Family Historian nor Roots Magic are owned by My Heritage, they simply have an arrangement with them. Intrestingly, and I don't doubt that financial incentives played a large part, Simon Orde who produces Family Historian has said that one of the reasons for this feature being introduced was because people kept asking whether the software had a "hint" feature similar to Ancestry and Family Tree Maker - see here. Therefore it seems likely that both companies are simply trying to compete with Ancestry and its widely publicised "hints" facility for their family tree hosting service. Even Findmypast have seen fit recently to introduce a tree hosting and hints facility, no doubt to compete on a more even playing field with ancestry. While the tie up with MH is perhaps not the most prudent, there are limited companies available to provide the service.

Before you suggest I am not in a position to say that there is no harm in disabling the feature, although I am not a programmer, as someone with many years of fairly senior IT Infrastucture Support I am perhaps better placed than most to understand how things work and the risks involved in using internet facing software. I was the person who first raised this on the Family Historian Users Group Forum when I heard about it and would not be using the software if I thought there was the remotest chance something of what you suggest could be happening. Added to that the fact that much PC security software (unless people rely on the freebies) provides the facility to log firewall traffic which would easily show any unexpected traffic between the software and My Heritage if someone suspected this was happening, and similarly they also allow for software to blocked from connecting to the internet, it is not exactly worth Calico Pie nor Roots Magic programming their software to do something untoward as it would likely be found out fairly quickly. And in the case of Family Historian, being a UK company, they are subject to perhaps more stringent data protection rules which would probably see the book thrown at them should they be found to be doing something of this sort.

While I appreciate that you have had your fingers burnt with MH in the past, unless you have any concrete evidence that this his happening, I do not think you should be making such defamatory accusations about any software that has a tie-up with MH. It is neither helpful nor accurate for people who are looking at using such software. And just in case it is suggested, I have no connection with Calico Pie, Roots Magic or My Heritage, but have simply been using family tree software for 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  7. chrissy1

Thanks, Bob. All advice much appreciated. I would like to try out the FTM program.........but only from a legitimate site that won't cause problems with my computer, which I would be unable to sort out.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I suspect Nicola that Bob was meaning that the unwary user could find the default options meant the hints gave the MH site access to their data. So whilst the user thought they were getting a benefit by gaining access to hints they were inadvertently allowing access to MH to suck up the data in the fashion that MH is all too often noted for doing. So not suggesting that disabling such an option would have a back door but that using a default of accessing "hints" might have a back door, as the user would effectively have agreed for them to scan the data to look for matches. Which would probably mean them uploading it to provide it to others too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NicolaP

Unfortunately Alexander, if that is what Bob actually meant, that's not how the post came across. I am well aware of MH's reputation and that is one of the reasons I wouldn't have considered upgrading to FH6 if there was no means to disable the hints facility. I also have a great cynical disregard for T&Cs that say that no data would be retained by this sort of process. However, unfortunately, and I have re-read the post again, it does seem to suggest that FH, and by extension Roots Magic because it has the same facility, should be avoided now when considering software packages simply because of their tie-up with MH because MH cannot be trusted not to get hold of people's data even if the hints facility was disabled. Now if Bob didn't actually mean that, then alternative wording should perhaps have been used. Its somewhat unfair on the two software companies to suggest that the professional reputation they have built up over the years means nothing compared to MH's desire to obtain data for its own purposes at any cost.

10. chrissy1

Nicola, Bob is probably right in my case. I don't understand most computer terminology and it would be quite likely that I would somehow inadvertently click the wrong button and find my tree online without intending it! You obviously know what you are doing in this field, but I most certainly don't and find it very intimidating. I have to rely on someone else to deal with things like firewalls and settings as I don't have a clue and I am very grateful to people like Peter who have taken the trouble to recommend suitable anti-virus programs, as I wasn't aware that free ones didn't do the job properly. For people like me with nobody to instruct them in computers and software, it's a minefield. I am retired, so have work colleagues to assist me. Computers were not around when I was young, so I am easily duped, which has made me even more wary. I can't even work out which symbol is on and which is off for things like flight mode on my phone.........!!

11. NicolaP

Chrissy, Bob is probably correct that Family Historian wouldn't suit you. I do appreciate your situation as I am "PC Support" for family and friends, whether I like it or not.;) For that matter, I had no exposure to computers of any sort until I went to University anyway as we didn't have them at my schools, and I only became involved with supporting them in my late 20s so I am not one of these computer kids whose grown up with them and knows no different.

However, the problem I have with Bob's post was the impression it gave that nobody should touch FH now, even if he didn't mean how it came across. People shouldn't simply disregard the software, whether FH or Roots Magic, simply because of the tie-up with My Heritage. I accept it would be far better if the hints facility wasn't selected by default during the installation process, but as long as people actually read the screens they are clicking on instead of simply accepting everything by default, they will have come across where it provides the option to disable. Accepted that it has caught out quite a few people, but it is still not grounds to suggest nobody should consider the program. I'm sure people will say "its easy for you" but as with simply accepting ancestry tree hints without checking (as unfortunately many people appear to do), its far better to actually take a little time and read what you are accepting rather than accept all the defaults. In the case of software installation, Google can then become anyone's best friend to find out what something means before accepting it.

I'm not saying Bob or anyone else shouldn't provide advice on software, simply that they advice should be measured and accurate. We all have different experiences with software but a blanket ban on something simply because of an association with a website that isn't as reputable as the software company, isn't really fair to the software company especially when it is not based on any concrete evidence.

12. chrissy1

When I went to university, we didn't even have calculators!! We had slide rules (a new innovation at the time!) or log books and I was 50+ before I was introduced to a computer at work (though no proper training was offered!), so you have grown up with computers in the same way as I have grown up with calculators, having been introduced to them during a very receptive learning period.

"....I accept it would be far better if the hints facility wasn't selected by default during the installation process, but as long as people actually read the screens they are clicking on instead of simply accepting everything by default, they will have come across where it provides the option to disable......."

This has worried me because I have downloaded the Roots Magic free program and entered my data but I didn't see anything about a hints facility and even if I had, I wouldn't have expected it to link me to a site like My Heritage. I would have understood that to mean that it would tell me if I had made any errors such as inputting death year before birth etc. I haven't seen any mention of My Heritage at all when I downloaded the program and I wasn't aware there was any link to the site. How can I tell if I am inadvertently exposing my tree to MH and what should I do about it?

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

As a mature age uni student, we had one session introducing us to computers. The lecturer looked about 17;), he assumed that we had prior knowledge and left all of us thoroughly confused. When he advised that all future students would be computer literate we collectively said "no way". I have memories of churning out thousands of words on my trusty portable typewriter:eek:.
    Good luck Chrissy, I have still not progressed with downloading the updates for FTM, but plan to take my new laptop to my daughter's in a few weeks time and she can sort me out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

Split screen: Are you sure you are not clicking the little left pointing chevron (<) that appears half way down the left hand side of the split screen? It's a right pointing chevron when the name index panel is minimised. You can select the name index panel by clicking on the single person head icon once the Index panel is open. Alternatively select View/Sidebar from the top menu bar if the Index panel is closed.

Navigating to people
    : Moving from person to person sounds very weird. I have never encountered this. Have you tried selecting Tools/Problem Search/Problem List? - this might highlight a problem with your data. Could it be that you have one or more people entered twice in your database? When I am in Family view, I tend to use the name index panel to quickly move to another family, especially it the surname is different - it's probably a personal preference.

Defaults: I concur with what other posters have said in later comments about RootsMagic defaulting to offering hints to other ancestors by default on installation. I think this was introduced in v7 as it was not there when I used my previous version (v4). I have switched it off as I found it distracting (I wish Ancestry would give you the option also as I never found any of their hints useful - quite the contrary in many instances.)

RootsMagic is not perfect and I started using it some years ago when I got a free version through Family Tree magazine and progressed to a fully paid version about a year later when I had become familiar with it. if I thought someone was harvesting my family tree data without my knowledge or permission, I would not be happy and would definitely look around for another vendor (after carefully reading what members here saying first!)

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Bob Spiers

This ‘apparent IT Expert’ commends you on your spirited defence of Family Historian; it reminds of my own similar defence of Public Trees on Ancestry. People should be vocal when they feel (emphasis ‘feel’) things they treasure are under attack; so well done on that score.

I am of course in deference to your ‘IT Infrastructure support’ even though quite honestly haven’t a clue what that entails (and just in case you feel like enlightening me, there’s no need). Let us just say we have both been around the block, speaking of computers, the internet and using FH programs, and leave it at that. There are plenty of others in the Forum with the same or even better credentials believe me.

As I have reminded before we are out to recommend to newcomers - whether to computers or to FH programs - and so should be ever mindful of the pitfalls, from the outset. Such pitfalls can start with the download, taking first steps, and then onwards and upwards in the use of programs. One thing is for sure; trying to encourage people to change from their long time favourites is a recipe for disaster. You may as well try to persuade a Chelsea supporter to support Arsenal.

All too often however their ‘favourite’ is no more and so this is where they seek support and seek something almost identical to what they had before. That is not easy as we know all too often from Forum posts. I usually leave choice recommendations to others –wading in now and again to agree or disagree – but I am ever wary of ‘thug-ees’ lurking in the internet shadows and of course of my nemesis MyHeritage.

I do not normally think of myself as someone who is always warning of ‘reds-under-the-beds – as many posts on the forum countering such responses will testify (back to Public Trees on Ancestry), so when I warn of the dangers of any association with MH I have on my serious face. It has happened to me, it is happening to others as we speak, and will continue to happen.

MH claim the biggest family history data base in the world -it is already of the order of 5.7 billion historical records, 42 languages, 80 million users, 1.6 billion profiles and 28 million family trees (courtesy Wikipedia) – and growing exponentially year on year. It will do so in a variety of ways, some openly, some not. It will do so via its many (and I do mean many) strategic collaborations, partnerships, technology matching, digitisation agreements, and of course enticements to use its own Family Tree Builder. All I have to say is caveat emptor!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bob Spiers

My response to Nicola was somewhat delayed and I wrote it offline so when finally posted I noticed there have been quite a few responses in between. I will take time out to read the posts and get back if I feel the need.

17. Bob Spiers

What I meant and reaffirm is all factors should be taken into account before deciding what program to choose. I learned long ago the 'Churchill' method of scoring (reputedly used by Churchill as a means of reaching a decision) which I used many times in my work as a quite successful means to graduate choice).

You only use 2-4-6-8 markings, no other, although one can add a + to uplift or - to downgrading a marking. A score of 8 is absolutely 'for' and 8+ tops the bill. 6 is considered 'not quite' as good as 8 with 6+ best of the bunch. 4 is definitely below par with 4+ just worthy of attention and 2 is a disregard and 2+ a last resort. If I considered FH an 8 candidate I could not elevate it to 8+ because of the MH taint and the same with Roots Magic. If however you have no candidate for 8+ then those with 8 should be further scrutinised. By this token MH (for me) scores 2- just as Ancestry's FTM scores 8+ because of its sync properties with my Ancestry Tree. Others will score differently.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The web hints feature does seem to be there in the free version - this page has a comparison chart for the free and paid for versions. I'm not an RM user but looking in their support forum I think the option to disable the web hints feature might be under the Tools menu, then File Options and then WebHints.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Bob Spiers

That so typifies what I mean by obstacles for the unwary, having to go round the houses to disable something that should be as simple as ticking or un-ticking a box.

20. chrissy1

Thanks, David. I have somehow managed to remove the split screen, though no idea how. Would 'tile vertically' relate to this? (though pressing this function doesn't appear to do anything) I have discovered that the chevron brings the index to and from the left hand side of screen, but I also had the remainder of the screen split vertically between the family/pedigree option displaying my data and a blank pedigree chart, though the latter has now disappeared and I just have the one screen.
    Regarding navigation, I tend to have numerous people of the same name in my tree, so rather than locate them via the index, I usually navigate my way through the generations tommnjpjpkbh the person I want. This is fine using the family option moving towards my ancestors and their families, but moving sideways through the siblings has sometimes caused it to revert to the source person, ie me. In pedigree mode, I couldn't retrace my footsteps back from my gt gt grandmother, but I know I haven't got the same person in twice, so I don't know what went wrong there, but this was using the i-pad app. I got stuck as it went to my gt grandparents' eldest child rather than my grandmother. There are numerous instances in my tree where cousins have married or families intermarried over the generations, but they are not entered twice and in the place where the problem occurred, the tree is uncomplicated. However, I shall persevere.
    In response to Pauline, I have just had an e-mail from a cousin who uses Roots Magic who says:
    "Apparently Roots Magic used My Heritage to help it pull FamilySearch data into the software. So if you are using RM you can link to FamilySearch and import data from that search into RM and the technology for this was supplied by My Heritage.
    It's an import though not an export and providing you don't set it up, nothing would have anyway transferred from your family tree to the Internet."

• Agree Agree x 1