1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family History Fairs/Seminars?

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Margery, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I will be having a short visit to England commencing 11 May (the tail end of a European tour) and, although I won't have a lot of time for family research, I am wondering whether there were any family history functions being held around that time. My main areas of interest are London, Suffolk and Kent. The Frances Nightingale Museum is mentioned in another thread and I will definitely be going there for a visit, too. Oh, I'm from Australia.

2. Emma

Emma Member

Just had a quick look on the Suffolk FHS website and you will just miss the free Open Day at Ipswich Record Office on 11th May! There is mention of an Australian section just re-formed in Melbourne - do you belong to that or is it nowhere near you?

3. Margery

Well that is bad timing! Thanks for looking it up, Emma. Afraid that I am a long way from Melbourne but I will see if they have a website.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Margery, you might want to consider visits to one or more of the following:
    • the Society of Genealogists library
    • the National Archives
    • the London FamilySearch Centre, currently at the National Archives
    All have phenomenal collections.

I did check whether there are any lectures/courses at the SoG while you'll be here but unfortunately not.

Another visit to consider would be the Suffolk Record Office as there are relatively few Suffolk records online, and little prospect of that changing, I'm afraid.

Finally, do make sure your My Ancestors page is as complete as possible, because the very best thing you can do on any trip is meet up with a 'lost cousin' !

5. Margery

Thank you, Peter. They sound great places to do some research. I think that I have the My Ancestors up-to-date. I have made contact with one distant cousin and possibly another (too many people in the family with the same name!).

6. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Sounds to me like a "Welcome Overseas Visitors" FAQ. Timing on these visits is at such a premium and I know, for me, having a group of people who are familiar with localised family history knowledge of places, people and research centres would be invaluable. Also, if one did have a family history question whilst over here a forum could be available for suggestions etc. Any new family connections found could be entered immediately on Lost Cousins, with fingers crossed. Too often, it's only when I've got home and studied all my new family history findings, I see how close I was to just viewing a family related area. Now, when the Research Centre(s) close I will be updating my Lost Cousins Ancestors!