1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Exercising outdoors in winter?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

In answer to the question posed about exercising "do you really need to go outside in the middle of winter?", I would say very definitely, yes - and as often as is possible, taking the weather and lockdown restrictions into account.

Provided you dress appropriately, and avoid slippery surfaces and close contact with others, then exercising outside will be good for both your physical and mental well-being. When you exercise outside it is not just about keeping fit, breathing in lots of fresh air will also give your immune system a boost. And if you have access to the countryside or a park, then this will bring added benefits to your sense of well-being.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I fully agree with Pauline. It's all a matter of dressing appropriately, as she points out. The winter has finally arrived here in southern Finland, it's very cold (minus 17 C right now) and we are deep in snow. 'After weeks of mild, damp, gloomy weather, the world is suddenly a much brighter and happier place. There was even an article in the paper with the headline that the joy caused by the arrival of winter makes a pleasant change from the anxiety caused by the virus!
    I hasten to add that the temperature is dropping rapidly; it was only minus 8 C when I went shopping this morning.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's dangerous giving medical advice when you're not a doctor. Even if something seems like common sense to you, it might not be backed up by medical knowledge.

This article on the Harvard Medical School website (written before COVID) describes precautions to take when going out into the cold. It's entitled:

7 strategies to fight winter breathing problems
    Simple steps can help you avoid complications that come from breathing cold, dry air

Of course, you might do all those things without even thinking - but people following your advice might not. Better safe than sorry!

4. Pauline

You need to log-in to view the Harvard article so I can’t read that, but a simple web search brings up lots of articles - medical & otherwise - outlining the benefits of getting outside in winter.

5. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have exercise-induced asthma, which is worse when I go outside in the cold. I do have an inhaler but walking any distance in our cold dry air means that I have to use it when I get inside again. Fortunately, it has not been all that cold so far this winter, hovering around the zeroC mark (it can go down to -35) except for a brief period in October, so I can walk to the car and back without difficulty. And I generally only have to do that once a week, like today. It is presently -2, feels like -7 with the humidity at 37%.

6. peter

I didn't need to log-in - you might want to try again.

7. peter

Let's forget the 'otherwise' - we're discussing medical matters. Perhaps you could provide a link to a medical article which you believe makes a good case?

8. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

To continue reading this article, you must log in.

I got the same as Pauline

9. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I also had to log in

10. peter

It may be that it's only free if you get there via Google (that's a Google feature). I searched for 'is it healthy to breathe cold air' - it was the top result.

11. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter - Googling worked

12. I don't view Pauline's opinion as 'medical advice'.

13. peter

You don't see it that way, but somebody else might (remember, most areas of the forum are public).

What Pauline said sounds like common sense - so some people may not bother checking.

14. Pauline

As I said previously, a web search brings up plenty of articles, including some on the NHS website. I googled on something like 'benefits of going outside in winter UK', adding the UK because the bit in the newsletter was referring to matters in the UK, and the climate here is very different from in other parts of the world.

15. Pauline

I didn't see what I wrote as medical advice either, any more than I viewed what was written in the newsletter as medical advice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. peter

What I wrote in the newsletter was intended to save lives, by reducing the impact of respiratory diseases, so if that doesn't count as medical advice I don't know what does.
    If you search for the benefits of doing something you'll find articles that list the benefits. But if you search for 'risks of exercising outdoors in cold weather' you'll get a very different list of articles.

Similarly, if I search for 'benefits of breathing fresh air' I'll get lots of articles extolling the benefits. However the air outside someone's front door isn't necessarily healthier than the air inside - it depends where they live (see this Guardian article from 2019 - hopefully things are a bit better during lockdown, though the reduction in private cars is partly offset by an increase in delivery vehicles). So exercising outside and breathing fresh air are not necessarily things you can do at the same time.

17. peter

See also this 2016 article from the Irish Times entitled 'Is running in city air good for your health?'.

18. Pauline

Naturally - I thought that was what you were asking for.

19. peter

What I would like to see is the evidence for and against exercising outside in near freezing weather when the hospitals are already overflowing with patients who have respiratory illnesses.