1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Encephalitis Lethargica

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Picking up on what Peter says in the latest newsletter about the Spanish Flu, at much the same time as this there was an epidemic of Encephalitis Lethargica.

At least two of my grandmother's siblings contracted this, and since both started with the symptoms shortly after they were vaccinated against something, she always blamed the vaccine. I gather that even now it is not clear if encephalitis lethargica was caused by the flu or just happened at the same time coincidentally.

My grandmother's sister died in 1931 of "Post Encephalitic Parkinsonism" while her brother, having been ill with it for over 20 years and feeling a burden on his family, took his own life n 1945.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020