1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Elias or Edward?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Jean999, May 6, 2014.

1. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

My great grandfather was called Edward Tunnicliffe, a farmer living in Denstone, Staffordshire.

I have been puzzled to find references to Elias Tunnicliffe in 1872 and 1876 trade directories.

There are no corresponding birth, marriage, death or census records for anyone called Elias Tunnicliffe, so can only conclude that my great grandfather, Edward, was using Elias as a pseudonym.

Has anyone else found an ancestor using a pseudonym for trade purposes? Any suggestions why he should do this?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure they are the same person? Could they have been a brother, uncle or cousin?

3. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

My maternal line is from Staffordshire and in my research I have regularly come across the name Tunnicliffe - it appears quite common in the area - also in Cheshire.
    A variation of Elias is Elijah could the record be in this or another form?

4. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

I am 99.9% certain that Edward was using Elias as a pseudonym. If Elias was another individual, I would have expected to find both Edward and Elias in the trade records for Denstone.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Elias is a Biblical name.

It was not unusual for non-conformists to take a Biblical name - my 3G grandfather was baptised as John, and appears as John on the 1841 Census, but in 1851 and 1861 he is recorded as Ebenezer, and this is the name on his death certificate.

I had great difficulty convincing myself that they were one and the same!

6. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

I have a reverse situation:
    Born Amos Pullan 1840, Amos in 1841, 1851, 1861 but known as John in 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
    Died as Amos again in 1910
    Seems he left home & used the name John but was still officially Amos