1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

East Sussex parish registers online

Discussion in 'More Sussex Resources' started by Pauline, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Thanks to a tip off on another forum, I have discovered that East Sussex parish registers, and some BTs, are available online free at FamilySearch.

This is not apparent when doing a normal search but available images can be found by searching for a particular parish in the catalogue, and looking at the films available for church records.

Where the film notes show a camera icon on the right hand side, you can click this to view images from the film. You do need to be logged in to do this, but it's easy enough to get a log-in if you don't already have one.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Even better, see Sussex parish registers online but hidden EXCLUSIVE (from my 8th February newsletter).

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Oops! I did read it at the time - honest!

I guess it's because your newsletters are so full of useful information my humble brain doesn't always retain it all. :eek:

4. peter

Actually it's a good idea to include it in this area to make sure it isn't forgotten when I eventually compile the Sussex Resources page - so thanks for posting it. I just didn't want anyone to think that they needed to use other forums!

5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you Peter and Pauline. Like Pauline, I have to admit that there's so much information in your newsletters, Peter, that, unless something's of immediate interest, the danger is I'll forget it. And it's no good just bookmarking it because I'll forget to look at my bookmarks. Any good idea to help my poor old memory?

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Not from me Gillian! I've got so many bookmarks listed it is quite a task to browse them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. peter

The aim is to keep the Resources pages on the forum up to date so that whatever you want to know you'll be able to find it on the relevant page. But until I've created them all - there's always the customised Google search of the newsletters, which is what I use.

However I don't think either is quite what you're looking for - you want someone to tap you on the shoulder at the relevant time! How about a To Do list for your family history? I've found that works well for me, because I am researching on so many different lines that it's impossible to keep everything in my head.

8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Yes, you're right, Peter. I know I should make a To Do list, and every now and then I do remember to make one, but do I remember to look at it? Ideally, as you suggest, I need a shoulder tapper. When I started out, I was very good at recording 'need to look-ups" plus results for my then six main families. But the number of families has multiplied so much since then that that system doesn't work any more.

9. peter

I don't think the number of lines we're investigating makes the system less useful - quite the reverse, surely?

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Oh yes, of course. That's not my point. My point is just that there are so many more lines to be taken note of. It was fairly easy as long as I had only six. But it's OK, I manage.

11. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

I may be the last to spot this but the Sussex records are no longer 'hidden' at Family Search. Some parish records are indexed and others available to browse. Great for East Sussex research. You can't download but there are ways around this!
    I've made real progress this afternoon. Good luck.

12. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have "bookmarked" two of Peter's articles - What to do with your DNA results (which I also printed) and How to get the most from FindmyPast. Both in the Genealogy list of bookmarks, making them easy to find.