1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Duplicate Lost Cousin Facts

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by PK-KTK, Dec 22, 2014.

1. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

Given that I have 4 people (so far) actually entered into LC that were alive in two census years, potential for dozens of them with a handful alive for 3 census years, is having a number in the Duplicate Lost Cousin Facts spot a problem or just an indication of longevity?

2. PK-KTK

If I put custom events of Lost Cousins 1841, Lost Cousins 1881, Lost Cousins 1911 etc, would FTA still work properly?
    Would enable me to do specific searches for people with census data for those years but not LC entries without having to re-export a Gedcom everytime I want to check via FTA

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

That is exactly how it works.

Create a custom fact, put Lost Cousins in the description and the census year in the date.

4. PK-KTK

Maybe I haven't explained myself properly...

I have my LC custom events set up to only show the date, the description and the place are left blank and nothing goes in notes - so a basic LC event when broken down, the data is as follows (as an example)

Event Name: Lost Cousins
    Event Description:
    Event Date: 1881
    Event Place:
    Event Notes:

But because I have a number of people who were alive in multiple census years, I end up having multiple Lost Cousins events and so far it seems that this is resulting in a number appearing in Duplicate LC entries.
    Although I'm working through them all and seeing just what is going on with them, so that might yet change again.

For my own reporting though, I'm wondering if having my custom events set up like below would potentially stuff things up or not

Event Name: Lost Cousins 1881
    Event Description: entered
    Event Date: 1881
    Event Place:
    Event Notes:

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I'll need to check the code but I think the extra text would work however the counts still wouldn't be fixed. We need to think of a way to flag people as having duplicate census records (thus duplicate Lost Cousins records) for a census year. ie: just for those rare individuals who manage to appear twice on the same census.

6. PK-KTK

Thanks Alexander, appreciate the feedback.
    In a brief test just now though it appears that Lost Cousins 1881 is not picked up as being a valid Lost Cousins event entry, nor is Lost Cousins 1911.
    Sure, I could have two events for each entry onto LC, because I'd like to be able to set Legacy's Family View to show me which Census records I've already entered at a glance, because any event that gets used more than once only the earlier dated one shows up
    (I have the display set to show LC, but the event is Lost Cousins)

Attached Files:

7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I am having difficulty trying to catch up with this discussion and understand what is produced and just what is expected. Is this similar to another discussion about error messages produced on the Lost Cousins tab?

Would it be possible for someone to show an example of the GedCom output so that I (and others?) can better appreciate whether this situation is a potential problem in their own circumstances where the software used is other than Legacy?

Thanks.

8. Tim

Are you having issues with Lost Cousins Facts with all people or a specific few? Have you seen this here in the documentation?

9. Tim

I'm also not too clear what the issue is.

My understanding is:-
    This is no problem. I also have created custom facts for Lost Cousins for 1841, 1881 and 1911 for a number of people. The different dates separate out these into 3 unique facts. These are not duplicate Facts.

Alexander said he would check but I think you answered it yourself when you said
    Having multiple Lost Cousins facts for different years does NOT report as duplicate LC entries. i.e. Having 3 facts for a single person that says
    Lost Cousins 1841
    Lost Cousins 1881
    Lost Cousins 1911
    is completely legitimate.

A duplicate LC fact is where you have this for a single person

Lost Cousins 1881
    Lost Cousins 1881

So, where FTA has identified a person with a duplicate LC Fact (i.e. a Fact for the same year), have you looked at the gedcom file for that person? There should be 2 entries like this one.

Code:
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Lost Cousins
    2 DATE 1881

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PK-KTK

I was having issues with just a few people - not sure why or who anymore since I seem to have "fixed" them without even knowing that I was fixing them.
    Yes, I've seen that documentation

11. PK-KTK

I think my initial way of including the Lost Cousins event before I had read the documentation and fiddled with things was maybe producing the error - I don't know, but I'm not getting any duplicates anymore.

I attempted these custom events after Alexander indicated that it might work, and was giving feedback on that - I'm still putting those in though as well as the regular Lost Cousins event because it means that I can see at a glance which family members have been entered onto LC and which havent, and which need to be looked for based on birth & death years (see attached image)

Attached Files:

12. Tim

Ah! So your program displays the fact title even if you haven't added them?

13. PK-KTK

Yes - Legacy allows you to select what events are displayed on that Family View screen, and will display the titles for them even if that even is not present for that person.
    But only on that screen - on the Individual View screen, it only shows what events have actually been added for the person.

I have a couple of different sets of things to be displayed on the Family View, another one included Burial Location and Cause of Death, while another displays what documents I hold for a person

14. Tim

So do you need them to be displayed?

You could leave them off and then periodically Run FTA to show you who to add to LC and then add a Lost Cousins fact for them? Saves entering the data twice?

15. PK-KTK

I want them displayed yes, because then I can do a Census Search in Legacy, tag them, then quickly tab through those tagged people and see who has and has not been entered for the census I searched for.
    I've tried doing it the way you suggest and in other similar ways, but this way is what works for me.
    Entering the data twice is no great drama really

16. Tim

Ok, if it's good for you and it works, then you can't ask for much more!

• Agree Agree x 1