1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNS & Jargon

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Heather, Jun 29, 2014.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes it is used in athletics. This is where acronyms can be confusing, but if someone like Alex for example, includes it in a message to a IT collegue I'm sure the meaning would be plain. However, when an acronym is used in the same field ......?

I have a medical condition known as M.H. which can be fatal. It is an acronym for Malignant Hyperpyrexia, commonly referred to as 'malignant hyperthermia under anaesthesia'. However, I was alarmed to see M.H. used in a magazine for migraine headache. I'm afraid a couple of asprins would not be of any use to me if I mentioned to a medic that I had M.H.!

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Ok, as I seem to have started quite a discussion on this subject may I suggest an answer that may help, if not please everyone. If one writes, say " I had a look in the records at Online Parish Clerks and found the answer. I think OPC is an wonderful site." So in full with bold first letters, then if mentioned again, as an abbreviation. Just a suggestion.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Thanks Alexander

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have mentioned about how my Computer Magazine provides a 'Jargon Buster' section but what I should also have added is that when an acronym (or a similar short-form) is used in the print version (there is an online one) it is shown in red. This tells the reader unfamiliar with the term that it can be looked up on the inside of the back page. Web addresses are set out in full in blue print and may be copied into the address box within your browser if you wish to check it out.

In the online version passing the mouse over the red item displays the word in full (ie DNS =Domain Name Server) and clicking on it takes you to its Jargon Buster explanation. Of course web addresses -shown in blue -are direct links taking you to the web page just as in this Forum.

Is it possible on a Forum page for code to be written so that when an acronym is written in a (pre-decided) format -similar perhaps to that used for links- its full name is displayed when a mouse hovers over? (As happens with toolbar items). It would be nice if clicking on it could then provide an explanation, but in most cases just knowing what the acronym stands will suffice.

5. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

A good idea if it were possible but it would then become onerous to make a posting, so I think best left to the Board Moderator to decide and implement where there appears to be a problem.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It's certainly a good idea, sounds like it might be an addon to the forum software. It would have to be investigated.

7. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I think the situation/problem occurs when the person writing doesn't realise that they are not being understood. I think we would all grasp that if we were using an unusual word we would have to explain it, and similarly with an unusual acronym or set of initials. However, there are cases where what seems 'obvious' to us is not to our audience. (I recall saying something to an experienced dinghy sailor that included the terms 'pintle' and 'gudgeon' and he looked at me and said 'I have no idea what you are talking about'. I wouldn't have expected Joe Public to understand but I thought he would). Thus, it should not be left to the poster decide what and when to explain, as they are probably not the best judge. Perhaps we need a 'no blame, no shame' policy allowing readers to query what the term means?

8. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Such a thing exists it would need Peter to install it though. Once installed words or phrases can be added to its dictionary by an administrator (whomever Peter grants the rights to not necessarily Peter or myself). These words then have a substitution value which can be anything including a webpage link.

So for example if someone was to write DNS in a post the addon would automatically find DNS in the dictionary and replace it with a link to an article on DNS. Or if there was a phrase in the dictionary called "Latest newsletter" the addon could automatically replace the text with a link to the newsletter.

My idea for how we would use this addon is that we could have a forum where users raise jargon queries and once we find a suitable explanation the dictionary administrator could add the word or phrase to the dictionary and a link to the explanation. From then on whenever someone used that phrase in a post the addon would post a link to the explanation.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tim

That's along the lines that I was thinking. The dictionary could be pre-seeded with a number of the more common abbreviations to help sped up the process.

Would you want a forum, or what about asking users to just report the post and explain that they don't understand an abbreviation or acronym?

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Reporting a post brings it to the attention of all moderators. Whereas posting to a what does this mean forum could be dealt with by a dictionary administrator as the moderator of that forum. It would be wise to have the dictionary admin limited to one or two individuals say Peter and one other.

This assumes of course that Peter likes the idea and is prepared to implement it.

11. Tim

Right, that makes sense.