1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Fern49, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

I have gone back 7 generations in a few cases, interestingly you mention India. My g/g/grandfather served in the West Indies, where 2 of their family were born, Ann (wife) remarried in 1848 in England. I have sent away for the marriage certificate of the 2nd marriage from GRO hoping it will tell me whether she was a widow at the time of the marriage or ? that was a month ago, unfortunately GRO wouldn't email it, I have emailed them as to when it was posted, but no reply. Very frustrating.

2. B C Chris

B C Chris LostCousins Member

I have finally figured out how to use the forum for writing about the newsletter. I read with interest the articles that you had links to about DNA testing. I had chosen to go to the one by National Geographic because I wanted to know more about ethnicity in case my research which all leads to UK was somehow wrong. As a female I am not likely to find a direct male line and I have no male cousins with my maiden name except a second cousin that I know about. Unfortunately DNA testing in different countries is sometimes restricted due to what you put in the mail. A friend has tried several different DNA tests with some members of her family but has yet to find anything significant.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

At the moment tests of ethnicity give questionable results, especially if your ancestors are European.
    You only need one cousin to test.
    Just ignore the restrictions if you're sending a cheek swab or saliva sample. Every time you lick a stamp you're sending a sample of your saliva!
    It would be useful to know which tests they took, and why they took them. Sometimes people don't take the right tests, and sometimes they don't test the right people.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015