1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA testing to trace "ethnicity"

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Britjan, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Has anybody delved into this other facet of DNA testing and can they provide some feedback?
    On my own behalf I'd like to know a bit more about where I came from apart from England and Ireland.
    My two daughters have some Canadian aboriginal heritage likely from the bands that were forced to settle in quite narrow areas of Ontario around the start of the 19th century. My grandson also possibly has some aboriginal heritage from his Newfoundland roots as well. Like many other heritage issues the aboriginal one draws a lot of "wannabees" particularly in Canada where there is some reparation for past mistreatment. That's not an outcome that interests us at all although we continue to learn about the extent of that mistreatment.

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

• Today's Europeans and East Asians owe 1% to 2% of their DNA to Neanderthals

Rather than start a new discussion I am posting the topic of our genetic relationship to Neanderthals here. There is emerging evidence through the first systematic search for Neanderthal DNA in humans that the relationship is closer than currently acknowledged. Like much news these days the subject gets aired on blogs before it reaches reliable mainstream print but I've posted a link to what struck me as the most informative. The research as it evolves is likely to provide some interesting thoughts on the useful parts of Neanderthal DNA such as adaptation to new climates when they left Africa and it's role in Type 2 diabetes. I don't think we'll be naming Neanderthals on our trees any time soon but an interesting diversion!